PDA

View Full Version : Snow Bloom

Roman Kurywczak
02-12-2008, 07:43 PM
This was taken in Yosemite NP by the roadside at around 8000 ft. Taken with a Canon Rebel and a Sigma 180mm macro lens with the Canon MT24 twin flash at f22 and 1/100th of a sec. This is the first time I've gotten this bloom with snow (which I provided :D).
Roman

Robert O'Toole
02-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Really like it, so what is it?

Looks great with the deep red contrasting the really fine details in the white hairs.

A little more room on the right side would improve the image and the dark upper left corner is a little distracting.

Thanks for posting.

Robert

Roman Kurywczak
02-12-2008, 09:17 PM
It's a plant that lacks chlorofil and only grows at high altitudes. I'll get the specific name from a friend.
I was worried that by having more room to the right it would become too centered. The dark corner is the snow melting as it was 80 degrees that day. I carried the snow from a pile at the summit in an ice bucket to sprinkle around it.

Robert O'Toole
02-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the info, the cone in the lower left makes a good balance now that I look again. Good comp.

Robert

Mike Moats
02-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Hey Roman, a very cool find, and I wish I could get some nice color like this to shoot here in Michigan right now. This is the first time I've seen this plant so thanks for posting. Great contrast and good idea adding the snow. As Robert points out a little lightening of the snow in the top portion would be nice. Keep em coming!

Robert Amoruso
02-12-2008, 10:31 PM
I like the balance of the lower cone to the larger plant. A bit more room on right would be nice.

Alan Melle
02-13-2008, 10:05 AM
The common name is Snow Plant. Sarcodes Sanguinea
These can be stunning looking plants!