PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Moose

Howard Burkert
02-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Image was captured on the Brooks River. A flash of sunlight on this beautiful rack was my first clue that this moose was half way down the mountain, well over 250 yards away. It slowly worked it's way to the rivers bank. It went into the river, still over 150 yards away, again slowly it came up stream. Never, in my wildest dreams, did I think he would come up stream right in front of me.It was a great adventure I will never forget.Isn't he a beauty!!
Nikon D2H, Nikon 200-400mm VR. A prority 1/60sec. F 5.6 +1/3 ISO 400

Todd Frost
02-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Nice capture of a very nice bull! A slight head turn would put this over the top.
Todd

Bill Keown
02-12-2008, 08:09 PM
That is one handsome moose. Nicely done on the exposure and and sharp as well. Good on you for waiting for him.

Grady Weed
02-12-2008, 08:44 PM
These creatures are huge, i meanhuge up close. I have seen them 1,500 lbs, a bull, over 7 feet tall and long as my truck. They are magnificent. this one is very nicely done. I like the crop. Slightly soft in the eye but ok. Perhaps some USM. Just seeing this big guy is a gift and posting him for us is one too. Thanks for sharing him.

Arthur Morris
02-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Wonderful animal, wonderful image, and wonderful critique by Todd Frost.

later and love, artie

Robert Amoruso
02-12-2008, 10:15 PM
A very dramatic looking moose. I like the composition.

I see some noise in the water. I would recommend selective sharpening of the eye.

Steve Canuel
02-13-2008, 12:12 AM
What a healthy looking moose. The three bow waves in front really give a sense of his power as he plows through the water. Looks like a slight bit of noise in the darker areas. Must have been a real treat just to sit there and watch.

Steve

Mike Tracy
02-13-2008, 08:11 AM
That is one fine looking specimen. You captured the sheen on his coat really well. I also wish I could see more of that huge rack head on.

D. Robert Franz
02-13-2008, 09:04 AM
A fine bull and a fortunate encounter. I've neve seen a bull moose when I've been there. I like the composition. Your choice of where to crop the bull is just right, and you gave him room to move into the frame. Now if you had a slight head turn it would be just perfect.......

Howard Burkert
02-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks for all the comments, I will do some sharpening on the eye. This bull was very focused, out of 20 close up images he never once turned his head. In the quest to improve my images should I have made some sort of noise? I did see another bull on my last trip to Katmai, however very momentarily and way out of range. But I will never forget this one!!
Thanks,
Howard

Ed Cordes
02-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Great experrience! and excellent patience. The exposure is right on and the sharpness is good on my monitor.

Stephen Stephen
02-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Howard very nice image. I light how you can see the massive neck and shoulders. A bull in his prime. As for making a noise I'm not sure that attracting the attention of a bull moose in rut is the best move but then again I'm no expert.

DanWalters
02-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Very impressive moose. Great shot.