PDA

View Full Version : Fall Cascade

Roman Kurywczak
10-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Fall has arrived here in the NJ area and the leaves further W in Pennsylvania are peaking....I spent the weekend chasing them and waterfalls during the rainy conditions. Found this boulder covered with leaves so workede a few compositions. Managed to stay out of the water all weekend! This was in Childs Park PA.
Canon 1D Mark lll with the 17-40mm lens at 17mm and ISO 100 at f22 for 15 sec. Lee polarising filter used all mounted on tripod and Graf Studioball Head
I have debated cropping off the top part of the leaves...opinions?

Lance Warley
10-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Good job in seeing this comp, Roman.

You might try cropping the very small part on the top that creates a small separation between the top leaves and the outside top edge.

Also, I wonder if you have any options with Selective Color to make the water whiter?

The leaf colors are beautiful. How many of them did you put there? LOL

Did you handhold the polarizer to avoid issues with vignetting and filter holders at 17mm?

Roman Kurywczak
10-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Hey Lance,
I am leaning towards the crop on this one....so I agree. I did use cloudy WB so I could add blues in selective color....to whiten them up a bit.....may go that route too....as for the leaves.....majority of them were there.....I did flip a few over.....had to be careful not to make it too clean! I did also compose a vert with the rock as most of the FG......it may have too many leaves on it if that is possible!
The Lee polariser is 100mm and I customized the holder to only hold it and 1 slot for filter......I may eliminate that too as I now generally HH my splits in front. I barely get vignetting at 17mm FF....never with the Mark lll .3 factor.

Lance Warley
10-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Oh that's right. I forgot about the .3 crop...thinking full frame for some reason.

Joe Senzatimore
10-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Beautiful lines and comp. Roman. I would leave it as is. The colors are fantastic. Nice running into you on Sunday. Too bad about your friends camera. Hope he has insurance.

Julie Kenward
10-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Roman I love the comp and subject matter on this one but my first thought was "wow, is that water dirty." I agree with Lance that it really needs a boost there to really brighten up and counter all those dark rocks.

Love the pop of color throughout the image. I think I'd also take a slice off the top to the point where the leaves are on the rocks. Beautiful image as always.

Jackie Schuknecht
10-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Agree with crop Roman, the polarizer really brought out the leaves but I think I would like to see the water whiter. Interesting comp. Glad you stayed dry:)