PDA

View Full Version : Images only - backup process

Jeff Nadler
10-19-2009, 10:30 AM
this question deals with only backup of your photos onto one or more hard drives, internal or external. Please exclude any discussions of full hard drive cloning or backing up, Raid, etc.

As you take new photos weekly and presumably back them up, do you use specific back-up software or simply use Windows program? If a backup program, do you use the incremental backup routine or duplicate? My backup program (Retrospect) for my external drive no longer works and trying to decide what to use. I did not like the full and incremental process as it created backup style fiels on the drive instead of simply seeing all the CRW, tiff, and jpg files that morrow my main drive.

Paul Granone
10-19-2009, 12:37 PM
I just backup to external hard drives. one on my desk, one locked up in safe, and one offsite. I rotate the discs and keep them updated.

If your compuer allows RAID you can mirror the drives your picture files are on. But I always prefer to have more hard drives instead.

Large external hard drives are very affordable these days. They make easy to use backup devices.

Jeff Nadler
10-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Paul, what program do you use to do the backup?

Steve Zamek
10-19-2009, 04:38 PM
For Windows I use SyncToy 2.0, which is free software from Microsoft. In spite of the name, it is certainly more than a toy. It is very simple to use, allowing you to easily specify which folders to back up. It does a file-based incremental backup, basically synchronizing two folders. I much prefer it over some backup solutions which modify the data and format it into their own proprietary blob, which I consider a risky proposition. You can download it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52

Gyorgy Szimuly
11-24-2009, 09:16 AM
What backup software is recommended for Mac?

Szimi

David Thomasson
11-24-2009, 11:10 AM
What backup software is recommended for Mac?

Szimi

I use GoodSync on a PC and like it very much. There's now a beta version of GoodSync for Mac. It's free (http://www.goodsync.com/mac.html) if you want to try it.