PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jack - Merlin Topside Dive

Jim Neiger
10-19-2009, 10:08 AM
http://www.flightschoolphotography.com/POST/NJM1.jpg
New Jersey - 1D3, 300mm+1.4xTC, hand held, 1/1600, F5, ISO 400, manual exposure

Hi All,

I just returned from a 10 day trip to New Jersey to photograph migrating birds of prey. My friend in New Jersey has a private spot where he sets up a decoy Owl on a pole and the birds sometimes buzz the owl as they are passing thru the area. While photographing, we cover ourselves from head to toe in camo gear. Many of the birds will not approch if they spot us. Then we sit and wait. Sometimes the action gets hot and heavy. Other times you can sit for hours without a single bird approaching. When the birds do come they arrive without warning, buzz the Owl once or twice, and then leave. It can be all over in a split second and the birds are moving VERY fast. We had a great time and were lucky enough to have quite a few opportunities.

The adult male Merlin is considered one of the most difficult and desireable subjects to photograph during the migration. Often called "Blue Jack" because of the blue feathers the adult males have on their backs, the Blue Jacks are small, extremely fast fliers that rarely buzz the owl. Most of the Merlins that buzz the owl are younger birds. One afternoon we were blessed with a visit from one of these elusive Merlins and he came while the light was sweet. He made three diving passes at the Owl and then he was gone. This was our only good Blue Jack opportunity in the 10 days that I was there. I was thrilled to come away with several images I liked including this one.

Manos Papadomanolakis
10-19-2009, 10:33 AM
beautiful pose,eye contact...wing position!!!

Jim Fenton
10-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Jim...

Love the pose and lighting / exposure.

It looks as though it could use some additional shaprening? Was it a large crop?

Graham Smith.
10-19-2009, 11:47 AM
sounds like a lot of fun Jim!
Very nice capture. Beautiful light, with nice pose and HA. I agree it could possibly benefit from some additional sharpening.

Jim Neiger
10-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Jim...

Love the pose and lighting / exposure.

It looks as though it could use some additional shaprening? Was it a large crop?

The image is not a large crop. It looks very sharp on my 30inch HP monitor, but I have recevied comments saying that my images need a little moe sharpening on several of my posts since I got the monitor. Perhaps I should sharpen images so they apear a little over sharp on my monitor when I post them.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dan Walker
10-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Wow, I bet this was hard to get. Love the symmetry and spread of the wings and tail. Agree it looks a little soft, but understand why, I don't seem to sharpen enough for the web either. I would love to see a print of this. Interseting info on how you get them to come in. Well done!

Jim Neiger
10-19-2009, 01:37 PM
http://www.flightschoolphotography.com/POST/NJM1a.jpg

Here is a repost with more sharpening. To me on my monitor it now looks slightly oversharp. Please let me know how it looks on your monitor. Mentioning the size and resolution of your monitor would also be helpful. Thanks.

Stu Bowie
10-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Superb dorsal view Jim, and thanks for sharing your set up. I would love to click away on a set up like yours. Action most of the time. Well captured.

arash_hazeghi
10-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Excellent flight pose and detail you got here, fanned tail and open wings are killer. The original looks a bit soft on my HP 24" LCD and the repost looks a bit over-sharpened, the optimum is most likely in between. Also there is a little bit of color noise on the bird which should be easy to clean.
Thanks for sharing this excellent shot.

Oh Forgot to mention, my screen is 24" 1920X1200 HP SIPS panel.

Ákos Lumnitzer
10-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Repost looks perfectly sharp on my 17" HP laptop at 1366x768 pixels.

Love your work Jim. Excellent, excellent stuff. You are a very dedicated man!

Judy Lynn Malloch
10-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Does not get much better than this as far as flight pose go. Beautiful capture Jim with excellent detail and beautiful eye contact. Love this one !!!!!

ChasMcRae
10-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Wings extended,head turned and tail flared -light good-no significant shadowing-and it is a adult Merlin ! Life does not get much better than that. Sharpening on my Apple monitor probably best in between to me as someone else mentioned. Unless sharpening approaches extremes(way too much or way soft) I think people seem to be subjective as to what they like.

Alan Murphy
10-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Pure sickness Jim.

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Interesting story...

Magnificent diving pose. Love the details on feathers, but I can see some noise on them. Your repost looks great on my 22'' AOC monitor. The first image lack of sharpness.

Harshad Barve
10-20-2009, 12:04 AM
awesome pose and expo , repost looks ecxellent on 21 inch HP TFT
TFS

Dave Barnes
10-20-2009, 01:31 AM
Very interesting story and capture Jim. Jim I prefer the first post. (I have an Apple cinema screen)
I like the diving pose with full wing spread. Good feather detail and colour.
What is the size of the crop here?