PDA

View Full Version : Do i use "IS" mode with a tripod .

Don Hamilton Jr.
10-19-2009, 06:11 AM
Guys, after shooting yesterday i have few questions for you. After Stalking White Egrets fishing around a lake for hours, i noticed that my pics weren't tack sharp.
Conditions were very windy though!
I focused center point AF on the eye.
100-400 mm Cannon IS USM, markins ball head, Feisol tripod. Lens was purchased in march 2009, and have really only used it handheld with IS on. Hopefully, that means a newer IS.
1) Should i be using the IS mode when on the tripod? Seems like the manual says no.
Most exposures were shot in AV mode with F stops 5.6 to 7... @ 1/500 min to 1/1600 ISo 200 depending on the light. Seems like at a high shutter speed, i would cancel the affects of any motion.
The focus is just not tack sharp. I'm using the birds eye and head area.
Seems like if i use the IS mode on Tripod, i see , and hear the servo move, and a tiny glitch.
Seems like my hand on the shutter would introduce some motion, thus IS would be good. As i do feel i'm not the smoothest on the shutter button.
I've shot some hand-held sporting track events, and the focus was tack sharp.
Just checking with the more experienced, to see what you do in regards to IS.
2) I do not know how to move a picture over here to the forums yet, as i would show a pic.
Don

Daniel Cadieux
10-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Hi Don,

The 100-400 has an older generation IS motor that should be turned OFF when on a tripod. This lens' IS will try to counter-act vibrations that are not there and this will cause slight blur/soft images. Newer generation IS lenses, such as the 500f/4, do not have this issue.

2) I do not know how to move a picture over here to the forums yet, as i would show a pic.

As a "Forum Participant" you will need to link your image via other site (e.g. Photobucket, Flickr, pBase) by using the insert image option (yellow square with a mountain located just above message pane). Paying "Forum "Members" can upload images directly to the BPN sever. Hope to see an example so we can make sure that is your softness issue...

Robert Amoruso
10-19-2009, 06:45 AM
Don,

TheCanon 100-400mm uses the first IS design Canon introduced so should NOT be turned on when mounted on a tripod. In all likelihood, that is your problem and why you are seeing the image jump when looking through the viewfinder on tripod with IS on.

WIth this lens on the camera, make sure you are using the tripod collar to mount it on the tripod. With IS off I would place one hand on the top of the barrel and push down to help dampen vibration. Other had on camera with eye socket tight against eye cup on camera. DOn't breath and with you finger next the the shutter button, roll you finger over the button to fire the shutter. By rolling it and not pushing it you help to dampen vibration.

As a forum contributor you must host images remotely. If you join you can then upload to BPN servers. See this thread (read it all) for info.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=946

Don Hamilton Jr.
10-27-2009, 06:24 AM
Robert, and Dan, thks for your response, now i understand why my 100-400 images are soft....:)
Thks Guys, just back form a business trip. Okay i received my Cannon 500mm F4, wow what a beauty!!! Man,i'm also now officially out of the doghouse with my wife, and all is looking good! :) :)
Okay, here's the qustion.. it seems that the manual states turn the "IS" mode off for tripod use.
Thus my question, after seeing so many fantastic images, it sounds like the advice from this group is leave it on... which mode... 1 for static stills, or 2 for panning. Thks for helping a novice.
Don

Robert Amoruso
10-27-2009, 06:41 AM
Don,

On the tripod IS is on and in Mode 2. Handheld you use IS 1 for static and IS 2 for panning as you mentioned. Good luck.