PDA

View Full Version : Trip of a lifetime

Lance Peters
10-18-2009, 07:45 PM
This aired on Ozzie TV last night - amazing - wouldn't you love to be a researcher on this Island.

Trips to the island are possible - but heavily regulated - cant stay on the island - only can be reached by boat.

But some amazing wildlife.

Check out the video.....

http://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunday-night/

Ohhh - I want to go.

Jackie Schuknecht
10-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Nice to hear a story about recovery, rather than decimation. Looks like a wild, rugged place, not for most people, but looks like a wonderful place for photography. I guess only for biologists/researchers.

Lance Peters
10-18-2009, 10:44 PM
Hi Jackie - 1 Tour company that goes there - heavily regulated - not allowed to stay on the island (Stay on ship) 2 day visit only.
Only accessible via ship - 3 1/2 days from new zealand.

:)

Phil Battley
10-19-2009, 04:32 AM
Funny you should say this. My office-neighbour at the uni where I work should be arriving there for FIVE weeks just about now. He's there as an entomologist on a research trip, but is also keen on birds and is taking his whole Nikon kit, incl 70-200 and newly aquired and virtually unused 200-400 mm. Trying to fit everything he wanted to take into his weight allowance was a real issue, as you can imagine. The worst part of the whole deal is that on the way back they have to go on a cruise liner that takes in almost every NZ subantarctic island group before reaching NZ on its return... I'll encourage him to post some images here on his return!

Phil

Lance Peters
10-19-2009, 05:46 AM
Lucky Guy - would love to see some of his images. Would be amazing to stay there especially if you are into photography.

Arthur Morris
10-20-2009, 07:32 AM
It's great that they do not allow photographers there. That way the researchers can chase the fur seals around with nets and scare them to death. And staple tags into the babies as they cry. The place is isolated. Perhaps the animals would be better off without the 50-100 researchers on the island. Perhaps.... I am not understanding what they are gonna learn that will help the animals there.