PDA

View Full Version : Glacier Bay, 1991

Bill Dix
10-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Thought I would try a post here, and maybe get some help. This was captured in Glacier Bay 18 years ago on a Kodachrome slide, and recently scanned as a TIFF. I have struggled with the WB, since many of my old slides have undergone some color deterioration. In particular, this still seems to have a bit of a magenta cast on my monitor that I can't get rid of to my satisfaction. My recollection is that the blue color in the ice really was something like that shown here.

Robert's technique of using USM to increase local contrast has helped to sparkle the FG ice crystals; although in the process of tweaking white and black settings I think I have clipped both ends.

Sorry I don't have any EXIF. All comments, crituque and suggestions appreciated.

Jackie Schuknecht
10-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Nice shot Bill, if you have magenta, try going in to PS, and use its' opposite; green. That should work.
Also another tip is go to filter/blur/average and then select Color as the blending mode (from the drop down menu in the layers palette blending modes) and go from 10 -15 percent opacity. (On a duplicate layer).
Hope this helps.

John Chardine
10-18-2009, 06:24 PM
I find it easiest to implement Jackie's suggestion in LAB colour where channel A of LAB is the Green-Magenta continuum.

Fabs Forns
10-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Good advise above, and very nice composition. I can see why you treasure it :)

Roman Kurywczak
10-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Hi Bill,
I often get the same results from scanned slides and Jackies suggestion is one I highly recommend. You can also try adding some selective color to the neutrals and blacks.....instead of LCE....for more pop......worth a look when you try to re-process. I like the comp here with the mountains framing the ice.....come to think of it......you may want to try a multiplied layer on the sky first also (it's in Robert's tutorial also).....to bring some more depth to it.....just remember to vary the opacity to desired tastes.
Some PP'ing tweaks will help bring this to its full potential.

Bill Dix
10-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks, all, for the advice. I tried several options for adjusting toward green. When I tweaked the whole image it got too green for my taste, and when I tried just a layer above the horizon line it looked artificial. The best compromise to my taste (see repost) was a slight adjustment toward green in a layer with just the sky and LH mountains, but it still needs some further adjustment. I also applied a slight gradient filter above the horizon. It will take me awhile to get up to speed with Robert's tutorial on multiplied layers, but I'll try to reprocess when I get the time. Thanks for the help.