PDA

View Full Version : Like a wasp

Milan V
10-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Wasp spider Argiope bruennichi

a female, with a body length of about 2 cm.

Canon 40D, Canon 100mm macro, ISO 400, 1/800, f11, +0.3, flash
90% of original (small crop due compo.), levels, colours, contrast, sharpness, noise reduction

http://www.pbase.com/milv/image/118321982.jpg

Julie Kenward
10-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Oh crap, we're back to spiders again, aren't we? :eek::eek::eek:

Well, for a SPIDER, this is pretty darn good. You got a really nice dof here throughout the entire body and legs of the insect. I also like that part of the web is in view.

Can you tell me a little about the BG...is it natural sky or did you alter it in some way? If so, how did you decide on this particular side angle? Did you try any images with a head on angle? I like this angle but wonder if it would have been even stronger with a "head on" look to it.

I'd maybe crop just a slice off the bottom since there is no web or anything else down below to hold the eye.

Nice work for a spider portrait, Milan!

Jackie Schuknecht
10-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Very good DOF and sharpness. I know these ones as garden spiders. They are big!

Milan V
10-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks!
Julie, the bg is natural sky, with the sun from the top left side.
I not change angle of the spider since this is it natural pose (with head down)

Steve Maxson
10-19-2009, 05:06 PM
Hey Milan - nothing at all wrong with spider photos and this is a very nice one. :) Good sharpness and DOF. I like the blue background and the visible web. I also like that you can clearly see 2 of the eyes. Well done.

Dave Leroy
10-19-2009, 06:23 PM
A very nice photo of a spider. I particulary like the dof. Well done. Dave

Mike Moats
10-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Hey Milan, nice sharp details, spider contrast well against the blue sky. I could also see the spider more on a diagonal out of a corner. Great shot.