PDA

View Full Version : Clematis Creeper Vine

Charles Wesley
10-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Here's a Bee's Jubile Clematis from my garden. I used my Canon EOS- 1D, Sigma 180 HSM f/ 3.5 macro lens and a tripod. My exposure was 1/ 125 sec. @ f/ 8.0 at 200 ISO .

PS/ CS4 processing.

5D Mk 11 Orchid Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRf2lrj19oM

Julie Kenward
10-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Charles, I noticed three things as I first looked at this image:

1) The whites look a little bit dull in the center of the flower.
2) The green leaves in the BG kept drawing my attention away from the flower.
3) I really liked the ROT's positioning on the frame of the image.

I opened up the image and simply clicked on the "auto" setting for levels and the whites popped right into place. I then did a slight curves adjustment to pop the darks down a bit also.

I used the LLC to clone out the big leaf directly above it - it took a little time but it seemed to help hold my eye to the flower when it was done. I used an eyedropper set on a shade of gray from the BG to then brush the other small pieces of green out of the BG.

See what you think. It only took a few minutes to make the changes. Of course, others might like that hint of green behind the flower so disregard if that is the case. I do still think the whites could use a little punch, though.

Dave Phillips
10-18-2009, 12:47 PM
nice image.....Julie has a point about the central area whites, but IMO the additional enhancement
to the petals adds an unpleasant coarseness. Tone down the speculars and it looks great

Charles Wesley
10-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Jules & Dave,

I agree with both of you. Jules thanks for helping the whites. Dave I will tone down the speculars. Will post my rework tomorrow. Doing a video today.

Appreciate the comments...

5D Mk 11 Orchid Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRf2lrj19oM <!-- / message -->

Charles Wesley
10-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Dave & Jules,

Here's another version of my Clematis vine. I worked on the speculars and warmed it up a tad.

Dave Leroy
10-19-2009, 06:22 PM
The repost by Charlie gets my vote. It looks very nice. Interesting how bringing out the whites and then toning down the darks made evrything appear sharper. Well done. Dave

Mike Moats
10-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Hey Charles, great job on the repost, a real improvement. Well done.

denise ippolito
10-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Charles, Really nice repost. Well done.

Charles Wesley
10-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks Denise it means a lot coming from you...