PDA

View Full Version : Orchid

Jackie Schuknecht
10-18-2009, 09:05 AM
I originally posted this in ETL, but was hoping for some more comments.
A small crop for comp.
40D
f 11
17-55 @ 55
ISO 100
1/8 s Eval/Av Mode +1/3
Tripod, MLU, Remote, Cloudy WB
Flash bounced off ceiling for fill
BG is matted board which I spray painted
Comments/Suggestions Appreciated

Dave Leroy
10-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Very nicely done Jackie. Lots of good and interesting technigues used. I especially like the bg technigue. I like the separation between the two front flowers and wonder if a slight move to the left centreing the back flower between the two front ones would have made any difference. I also wonder since you are already at 1/8sec ss if increasing dof to f/16 or f/22 would have made any difference. A really nice photo. Dave

Julie Kenward
10-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Jackie, you can always ask the moderators in ETL to copy the thread to our forum - might save you the trouble of redoing the thread yourself next time.

I'm really surprised by this image on several counts. First, not many macro / flora images around that were taken with a wide angle lens...nice going! You did very well with that choice here and I can see why you chose it. Trying to get all that long stem and flowers into one even and fluid focal plane would have been harder with any other lens.

I also like the idea of spraying the mat board with spray paint! I wondered how you got such an even shift between the two colors in the BG - this is a perfect way to create a good BG when one isn't readily available.

I also wonder about that flower in the center that is facing backwards - would love for it to have been more centered between the two but I have to say I'm very impressed with how in focus it is. The ones facing backwards almost always take a hit on the DOF and your choice of lens really saved the day here.

Beautiful, tack sharp flowers and stem throughout the image. Love the colors and the amount of saturation and contrast.

Steve Maxson
10-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Beautiful, Jackie! I can't really add anything more than what Dave and Julie said above. You might consider cloning the partial bud sticking up behind the smallest flower, but otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing.

Jackie Schuknecht
10-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks everyone for taking the time to critique, I really appreciate it!

Mike Moats
10-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Hey Jackie, I really like it. really nice sharp details and colors. Good tip on the BG. Well done.

denise ippolito
10-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Jackie, Nice details and the composition is great! Thanks for the tip on the BG.