PDA

View Full Version : Chickadee

Christopher Miller
10-17-2009, 09:23 PM
This chickadee photo is one that I took back in spring 2008 and until just recently was my avatar image. I reprocessed it the other day. I wish the branch didn't cut across the chickadee's tail, but not much I can do about that. I did clone out part of a twig that was behind the chickadee's head. What do you think of the square crop? I've experimented with a horizontal crop, but for some reason I keep coming back to the square crop. Any C&C are welcome!

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f4.5 @ 1/250, ISO 100, -1.0 EV
Program mode, spot metering(was taken before I switched to using pattern metering for my bird shots), auto WB
Processed in PS CS2; cropped, curves adjustment, some cloning on the BG, and selective sharpened the bird's head

Jeff Cashdollar
10-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Chris,

Nice shot, not sure about how to improve square composition. Can you add canvas to LHS, seems a tad tight. Like to see more detail in blacks too if possible, maybe open up shadows or dark colors (Blk & Gray).

Nice feather detail and I would remove branch (right angle) in URHC - well done. I remember this as your avatar, it was great!

Ben Egbert
10-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Tough little guys to get with the black head. You did a fine job I think. Might smooth the background a tad.

Lance Peters
10-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Hi Chris - feels a tad tight for my tastes, as mentioned blacks are a little blocked.
But overall very well done with the CAMERA - need to remember that this is essentially a point and shoot.
Good show :)

Gus Cobos
10-18-2009, 06:59 AM
Excellent composition, and capture with the point and shoot Chris. The square crop looks good, you lost some details on the blacks. The branches are part of the bird's natural habitat, and yes the tail is behind, but it is what it is...good show, you did well, looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Alfred Forns
10-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Really nice Chris !!! The biggest thing as Gus mentions is a little more detail in the black, makes a huge difference in these little guys !!! Excellent capture !!!

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
10-18-2009, 09:32 AM
It's hard to expose for black and white birds, need a good light for that. I love the pose, branch cutting the tail don't bother me that much. Nice feather details on the body too. Sometimes when horizontal crop doesn't work I try to go with vertical, but I don't think it will work here.

Christopher Miller
10-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks everyone! Very helpful suggestions. On this repost, I added a little more room all around, ran another pass of NR to smooth the BG a bit, and used S/H to bring out a little more detail in the blacks. Let me know what you think.

Gus Cobos
10-18-2009, 10:33 AM
The repost is much better Chris...way to go...looking forward to the next one...:cool:

Jeff Cashdollar
10-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Better, see some detail in the dark colors. I would still remove branch behind birds head, draws eye a tad - well done - nice picture.

Christopher Miller
10-18-2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks Gus and Jeff! Jeff, I'll see about removing that branch.