PDA

View Full Version : R U Nu Here?

Ed Vatza
10-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Weather no one could love here. So I picked up a few roses while at the market and started to play around. I piled up the white petals and then introduced the red one to the party.

Canon 50D; Sigma 150mm Macro lens; tripod-mounted.

1.3 sec @ f/22; ISO 100; +1 EV

Marina Scarr
10-17-2009, 08:12 PM
I don't know much about macro, Ed, but I love what you've done here. Great name for the bird; great idea on what to do when the weather is lousy. You have nice texture here and the exposure looks good. Love the way you dropped the one red rose in with the others. It almost looks like clouds. Thanks for making me smile.

Jackie Schuknecht
10-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Love all the tonalities in the whites, and then the red just grabs your attention. Nice soft feel on the petals.

Dave Leroy
10-18-2009, 10:50 AM
It is a great idea Ed and I like the photo. It is very nice. I wonder if there is a way to bring out a bit more detail in the petals, especially the white ones with out changing the nice soft feeling in the photo. And I agree with the smile. Tks, Dave

Ed Vatza
10-18-2009, 10:55 AM
It is a great idea Ed and I like the photo. It is very nice. I wonder if there is a way to bring out a bit more detail in the petals, especially the white ones with out changing the nice soft feeling in the photo. And I agree with the smile. Tks, Dave

That's the trade-off Dave. I can bring out even more detail but the image begins to look harsh to me. So I stopped at this point.

Julie Kenward
10-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Love that shock of color, Ed! I think you managed to get enough detail in the whites and still managed to keep them from getting blown. I do wish the few little dark areas where the corners of the petals don't totally overlad weren't there. I'd consider filling those small areas in with the white just to present a totally blank BG. I would especially consider this on the area right above the dark petal.

Lovely idea. I know we all have a long winter of bad days ahead of us and setting up shop "in house" can sure help pass the time.

Ed Vatza
10-18-2009, 07:12 PM
I do wish the few little dark areas where the corners of the petals don't totally overlad weren't there. I'd consider filling those small areas in with the white just to present a totally blank BG. I would especially consider this on the area right above the dark petal.

Point well taken, Jules. Those dark areas are obviously due to the depth of the pile of petals. I did try several different ways to lighten them this afternoon and was not satisfied with any of them so for now I am leaving the image as it. But who knows? I will probably give it another try in the days to come.

Mike Moats
10-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Hey Ed, like the sharp contrast of the red against the white. Good idea on the comp. Nce details.