PDA

View Full Version : Drinking in B&W

Stu Bowie
10-17-2009, 02:03 PM
My good friend Morkel Erasmus has got me started on B&W. There are certain images that will make it, and others that wont. I feel this one passes the grade, and hopefully my conversion works. We were parked on the other side of this dam, and watched how the elephants gathered to drink. Its great to see the little ones in between the legs. Taken in the Kruger National Park. I left space on the left to include the shadows.

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 400mm
1/800
F/7.1
ISO 400

Exp Comp +0.33
Hand Held from the car

Judy Lynn Malloch
10-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Wonderful image Stuart. You captured the family and extended family of this elephant herd and the story it tells is just awsome. One of my favorite images. Many thanks for sharing.

Harshad Barve
10-18-2009, 02:26 AM
small, medium, large and extra large , you have hot everyone here :D
Lovely image and great compo
TFS

Austin Thomas
10-18-2009, 04:41 AM
It is good to try something different Stuart.

The idea of B&W works for me on Elephants and there is plenty of story in this image without colour. Well seen.

I would have cropped tighter, removing a lot of the water from the foreground. If you have more space above the Elephants on the original then I would add some of that back in. The picture is all in the top half and I would want to emphasise that.

TFS

Austin

Morkel Erasmus
10-18-2009, 07:01 AM
hehe glad I could influence you in something, Stu :)

I fully agree with Austin's assessment regarding composition - less FG and more on top would help this a lot. Ellies have great skin texture which also makes for interesting conversions to B&W.

I know you won't mind me having a go yet again...applied a reverse-s-curve and increased blacks in the black, white and neutral channels. Also applied 15% midtone contrast in S/H. Then also applied USM @ 20%, 35px (works as a contrast enhancer, not really a sharpening tool at these settings)

tell me what you think?

Stu Bowie
10-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Thank you all for the feedback.

Austin, I have oodles of space all round, but thought the water would look better than the busy bush. Also the ellies are facing towards the water. Nothing wrong with your suggestion though.

Mork, why did I know you couldnt resist an attempt, and absolutely no problem mate. Yep, your version works well. Thanks a stack.

David Fletcher
10-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Cracking shot Stu. Love what you have done. Nothing other than a different "perception",I delved into the b&w world. Other than a crop and sharpen, i added some +blacks in selective color to the neutrals and blacks. Have noticed some blurring on the far right youngest ele, and am guessing the rear adult hind leg is the culprit. Just thoughts, on shots I would die for. :):) PS This isn't necessarily how I would personally show this as normally like more space, but having seen the idea of a pano crop, want to put it to bed.

Stu Bowie
10-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Hi Dave, Im going with your version - somehow it seems to pop even more. Thanks a stack.

David Fletcher
10-19-2009, 06:18 AM
Hi Dave, Im going with your version - somehow it seems to pop even more. Thanks a stack.

Thanks Stu. You're very welcome. :):);)