PDA

View Full Version : Jog falls

Madhav Jois
10-17-2009, 01:53 AM
Hi,

This water falls is situated in southern part of India. It falls from a height of 253 meters and is very intimidating.
Exif: Nikon D90, Nikkor 18-55 VR @18mm, ISO 200, f22.
Thanks for looking :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3521/4018086079_34673a2d17_o.jpg
regards,
Madhav

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-17-2009, 06:55 AM
Very nice, cloud cover really helps the image and well done, love to see it live

Robert Amoruso
10-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Madhav,

You certainly have a beautiful falls here. I like how you composed this. At first I thought a vertical composition might be better but then saw the small falls on the left and thought otherwise. Besides, I like all this lush green vegetation. I would suggest a curves adjustment to lighten the image. Placing a control point at the center of the linear curve, pull over the left to open up the darker tones and give it greater luminosity.

You did well limiting the sky but I think a bit more room on bottom would have given the very tall falls a better grounding at the bottom.

Axel Hildebrandt
10-17-2009, 12:03 PM
I like the composition and the landscape looks great, particularly the lush vegetation and the reddish water.

Morkel Erasmus
10-18-2009, 07:38 AM
love the lush greens and the composition. Robert's made some good suggestions, and would've loved to see this with a longer exposure to give the water some fluidity.

Madhav Jois
10-19-2009, 01:54 AM
Thanks Dennis. I can tell you, it will be great to watch it live.

Thanks Robert. I am glad you saw the small falls on the left of the fame. I have tried many compositions of this falls including verticals ones. I feel Green BG is ideal to launch Whites and here in this case, green vegetation provides good contrast to white water falls. Due to clouds, the light was not uniform and kinda created patches of light and shadow areas. I did lighten up the shadow area but may be not enough, will do it again. I agree with you on leaving a little more space at the bottom, but I was restricted only to 18mm and could not cover greater area. I could have stitched couple of frames, but it never came to my mind (hey, I am still learning :) )

Axel and Morkel, thanks for stopping by this thread. I think slower shutter will give good result. Will try that next time.

Thanks a once again for all your feedback. I really appreciate it.
-Madhav

Roman Kurywczak
10-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Hi Madhav,
Love the lushness of the colors and even think the SS is fine.....sometimes it's nice to freeze the movement but I would try both options next time.......I would definitely prefer this as a vertical. Yes the smaller fall is there but it is too delicate and small to add to the overall image IMO......as strong vert with maybe a touch more base and sky would convey the sense of the forest and yet give more prominance to the main falls.
Nicely exposed and even though I would prefer the vert.....this was still well handled.

Madhav Jois
10-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi Roman, thanks for your views. I think vertical composition adds another dimension to the image. Here it is,
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2486/4026678000_1ccc2d3391_o.jpg
Hope you like it.
Regards,
Madhav