PDA

View Full Version : Cosmic Glow

Steve Patterson
10-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Late afternoon glow in Bryce NP, Utah. The light was amazing...this is very much as it looked. Shot into the sun, but below it, with a cp. I have to say I liked this one...........

http://www.pbase.com/spatterson/image/118344147/original.jpg

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-17-2009, 07:08 AM
When I was up at the porcupine Mountains and talking to a guy from Moab and he said I have to go there as when the light glows in the canyon it is magical. Your photo is proof, and I hope to see it in Nov.

Robert Amoruso
10-17-2009, 07:56 AM
Steve,

I like the opposing lines of the buttes in the image - diagonals in two different directions.

Having been there I know just what you are talking about. It is a tough area to compose so perhaps my next comment would not have worked here. I think you need more room on the top (upper buttes very close to edge) and bottom (butte tops only showing). Of course including more sometimes just perpetuates the same problem.

Try a PS Curves Adjustment using the linear preset - that bit of bump adds a nice looking luminosity to the image.

Just a reminder: Images should not exceed 200 kilobytes nor should they exceed 1024 pixels on the horizontal side or 800 pixels on the vertical side.

Steve Patterson
10-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestons....I couldn't really shoot higher here because of shooting into the sun. I did try quite a few versions, but the images that inclued more above became very washed out because of the sun (even with a split ND filter), and shooting with the sun behind me gave very boring images. I didn't have much choice in this one.................

Axel Hildebrandt
10-17-2009, 12:04 PM
This really makes me want to go there sometime, great light and the composition works for me, too.

Morkel Erasmus
10-18-2009, 07:25 AM
I love this as is. Amazing light, textures and detail. I can imagine figuring out a composition in this place is quite a headache :)

Roman Kurywczak
10-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Hey Steve,
Having been there a number of times I feel your pain as it is difficult to decide where to draw the line....so to speak. I love that glow but like Robert felt the top was a bit tight.....I do recall having the same problem so I went for the crop tool....cropping just below the 2 upright spires gets rid of some of the darker bg yet leaves enough tone difference to have nice layer seperation. Just another option for you.
Nicely done capturing the dramatic light in Bryce.

Steve Patterson
10-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks, Roman....I wish I could have had a bit more at the top, too. It would help. With the camera any higher I had problems with the sun, so I guess I just have to live with what I got. I will try a little crop on top when I get home....thanks for the suggestion. Might keep the eye from looking for more up there..........