PDA

View Full Version : HDR Image Help

Matt Lerer
10-16-2009, 05:52 PM
I gave the HDR stuff a shot before heading west this fall and I am not really sure if somewhat surreal images are acceptable. This was made up using 7 different images and when processing it in Photomatix I just clicked on 'Tone Mapping', moved a couple sliders, and got this. I don't really know how much tweaking to do or if you should do any. I know a little bit of movement shows in the foreground reeds which I don't like but it looks pleasing to me. Any and all help would be appreciated because I am completely new to the HDR processing.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ghireptiles/nature/Labelle%20Sunset.jpg
Mark III
24mm
100 ISO
f22
1/15th - 4.0 seconds from darkest to lightest shots

Fabs Forns
10-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Matt, if there is wind, you'd do best with the bracketing feature and using continuous high to minimize any ghosting from moving trees or branches. The same holds true for clouds and windy days.

I can recommend Tony Sweet's DVD, reasonably priced and very good on the processing side of PM:

http://www.tonysweet.com/page_store.html
Scroll down till you find it.

Robert Amoruso
10-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Matt,

I got the Sweet video but have not looked at it yet.

Some like the surreal look others don't. I happen to like it and think your interpretation here is good. Keep at it, visit a lot of sites to get a feel for what others are doing and decide on what style suits you personally.

Morkel Erasmus
10-18-2009, 06:51 AM
this is a very nice scene, and I tend to like the more surreal HDR images more than the overtly 'realistic' ones. the dynamic range is well handled here and I have seen first attempts at Photomatix which are substantially worse than this (my own first attempts come to mind ;)).

I quite like this, great comp and dreamy colours. Post some more!

Nancy A Elwood
10-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Matt I like this a lot! Not too over done and still looks natural. It looks like you have a pretty good feel for it already.

Roman Kurywczak
10-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Hi Matt,
This is about as far as I like HDR's pushed......although I have seen a few that I like even with a more surreal look......the short answer is as Robert stated......you need to decide because others peoples tastes vary greatly!
Compositionally I may look at losing the LLC entirely.....yes you lose a bit of the sky color but both that and the LLC craw my eye too much and seem a bit out of color harmony with the rest of the scene. This will also make the full lily pad a corner anchor. All in all well done and a nice job on the HDR.