PDA

View Full Version : Temple of Philae

Bill Dix
10-16-2009, 02:46 PM
This was taken in February during the Sound and Light show at the Temple Complex at Philae near Aswan. The temple complex, burial place of Osiris and dedicated to his bride Isis, is one of the best preserved of the Ptolemaic era sites. It sits on an island in the middle of the Nile south of Aswan, and was painstakingly reconstructed on higher ground to save it from flooding when the Aswan High Dam was built. It is awesome when seen by day, but seeing it at night adds a further element of drama and mystery. To get there one takes a boat ride on the Nile just at sunset, an experience in itself.

Alfred Forns
10-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi Bill

Sweet !!! Can't imagine that place at night, sure looked good during the day. The only place I got to go at night was a light show at Karnak Temple !!!

Gus Cobos
10-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Impressive Bill,
I like the rear view erspective...very nice...:cool:

Jackie Schuknecht
10-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Neat image Bill. Great feel to it with the dark pillars and details on the far wall.

Harshad Barve
10-16-2009, 09:02 PM
beautiful imge and perspective , reminds me of light show we have here in Khajurao
TFS

Bill Dix
10-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks all. I'll admit to being pleased with the fact that this was shot without a tripod at 1/5 sec. (braced on whatever was nearby). Shows the value of the VR lens, I guess. Harshad, I've seen Khajurao, many years ago, but only in daylight. I imagine it must be spectacular in a Sound and Light show.