PDA

View Full Version : Oh Nuts!

Julie Kenward
10-15-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm not sure I remember what these are called (anyone?) I found them lying on the ground at a park and borrowed this pair to bring home and play with. (The squirrels were quite happy to have them when I finished up!)

I know the crop is VERY close - I would have liked a little more room on both ends truth be told but I was playing around with the extension tubes and wanted to get in really close.

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 macro + extension tubes (probably the 12 & 20mm here)
f/4.5 @ 1/200th, ISO 400
Manual mode, pattern metering, overcast sun, handheld, no flash
Processed in ACR & CS4 - increased exposure, clarity, & contrast. Noise reduction on BG only.

Mike Moats
10-16-2009, 05:10 AM
Hey Jules, very cool looking whatevers. Like your choice of DOF and the positioning.

Steve Maxson
10-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Hi Jules. These look like acorns from a Bur Oak (also called Mossycup Oak) (Quercus macrocarpa). Good sharpness within your DOF, I like the way you have arranged them, and also the way the overcast light is hitting them. I would like to see a little more room all around and you might consider trying to tone down some of the brighter spots along the top of the acorns.

Mike Fuhr
10-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Yep -- burr oak. I really like the composition and lighting. Nice green in the background also. Good fall shot.

Jackie Schuknecht
10-16-2009, 07:59 PM
These are bizarre looking acorns Julie, it looks like they were trying to root and got pulled up. Think I would go tighter or give more room. Just feels a little cramped IMO. Great low angle, you must have been flat on the ground. Nice texture on the front acorn.

Anita Bower
10-17-2009, 06:34 AM
What fun looking acorns! Your photo shows them off to great advantage. The acorns are nicely positioned. I see what you mean by allowing a bit more space, but, for me it is not a big issue. For some reason, I wish the BG were all the same color. Thanks for sharing these new to me nuts.

Nick Palmieri
10-17-2009, 07:53 AM
I like the composition, light, exposure and sharpness. As Julie noted, I too would prefer more room around the outside but nice as presented.

Julie Kenward
10-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the I.D. Steve! I knew it was an oak tree they were falling from but couldn't figure out why they were different than the regular acorns. These things are huge - you can only fit two in your hand at once.

As for the low angle, I brought them home and set them on the ledge of my deck at its lowest point where I usually have flowers out for display during the spring/summer. If I'm standing on the ground the ledge is about 4' up - perfect height for getting in close with the macro.