PDA

View Full Version : Blast Off!!

James Boland
10-15-2009, 06:20 PM
The summer has been too hot and it has been too long in between photo trips. This week I went out to Black Point Drive, Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge, Fl to get back in to nature photography. I was surprised to see a good amount of birds on the refuge. I caught this mottled duck taking off and thought I would pass it along for comment.

I used an EOS 40D in AV mode. I intended to use a f/8 setting but somehow the camera gremlins changed it to 5.6. I know that I am the only one that happens to. :D The shutter speed was 1/800 and the ISO was at 400. Faster would have been better. I'll double check next time. I used the Canon 500mm f/4 lens with a 1.4X extender.

Thanks.

Jim

Lance Peters
10-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Hi James - love the action, but to my eyes there is no part of the image that is really sharp - even with a full on blur generally you want some area to be sharp to draw and hold the viewers attention. Mr Duck is also flying away from you - you needed to be more to the left - if possible of course. He needs more room up front to fly into.

Its all about patience with these guys taking off.
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Alfred Forns
10-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Hi James

The f 8.0 would have given a slower shutter speed !!! In these I find going to manual is a big deal with the changing bg giving a different exposure (on auto modes)

For the bird going slightly away a slower shutter speed might have been better. Glad you had some birds in your area, pretty much dried up around here for the summer !!! ... except for bugs :)

Gus Cobos
10-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Hi James,
A fine looking duck and the heated action...I agree with Mr. Peters on the techs...would like to see him taking off your way...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

James Boland
10-16-2009, 06:11 PM
I appreciate the comments. It is important to remember to have that point to draw and hold the viewer's attention. AL, I know you tried to teach me about using manual mode, but I seem to have gotten away from it. I'll need to pay more attention to using it in the field. Thanks.

Jeff Cashdollar
10-17-2009, 08:51 PM
If it is sunny and the right time consider the sunny 16 rule. I would have shot this wide open, the techs are not bad. ISO=400, f/5.6 (with TC) and 1/800. Just have to pan or use tripod and Al Servo too. Lots of action, might need more shutter - nice effort.

James Boland
10-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Hi Jeff. Hope things are well. Truthfully, I just shot with what I had on the camera. I was so intent on the duck that I forgot the camera. If I had been thinking, I would have checked the camera just after the tri-pod tips hit the ground. Thanks for commenting on the shot.