PDA

View Full Version : Cygnet

Ian Mason
10-15-2009, 04:20 PM
1D2n, 600mm f4 is, 1/160s, f4, iso 200.

I'm not normally keen on head on shots, but every time I open this image, it grows on me. What do you think?

Axel Hildebrandt
10-15-2009, 04:35 PM
It works for me, looks as if he is going to get you. :) Angle, light, composition and BG make this all very good.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
10-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi Ian,
I love this too, especially as the reflection of the neck just seems to go on and on - quite sinister really...
Best,
Nicki

John Chardine
10-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Beautiful BG, subject and water Ian. OK so I have to ask- are you cloning the reflection and water to a layer and then stretching to get this effect? I am asking because I just don't see how this image is produced otherwise.

Stu Bowie
10-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Great eye contact Ian, and the Cygnet is really sharp. Killer BG, and another fine image from you.

Ian Mason
10-16-2009, 12:06 AM
Beautiful BG, subject and water Ian. OK so I have to ask- are you cloning the reflection and water to a layer and then stretching to get this effect? I am asking because I just don't see how this image is produced otherwise.

John

I don't think I would know how to do that! No cloning or other manipulation. The effect is the result of a very low position (lens at or just below water level) and flat water. This is one of a series I've posted with the same effect. Unusual, I know, but not artificial in any way.

David Fletcher
10-16-2009, 07:15 AM
Very nicely done Ian. Hope you have copyright on that stretch of water! :D. Well done.

arash_hazeghi
10-16-2009, 07:43 AM
Awesome reflections Ian, good job, colors are nice too!

Harshad Barve
10-16-2009, 08:56 AM
awesome compo , BG , HA and sharpness
TFS

Mital Patel
10-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Ian you have developed a fantastic skills and a style. must say u should have soon copyright the style:)
anyways i have no words to express on your frames you're posting from the series i know as "Raise from the Water" too good.

John Chardine
10-16-2009, 01:39 PM
John

I don't think I would know how to do that! No cloning or other manipulation. The effect is the result of a very low position (lens at or just below water level) and flat water. This is one of a series I've posted with the same effect. Unusual, I know, but not artificial in any way.

Thanks Ian. I suspected as much but wanted to ask. I'll have to try that sometime. I hope the front element of the 500 is waterproof (I think Canon says it's "gasketed").

Ian Mason
10-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks Ian. I suspected as much but wanted to ask. I'll have to try that sometime. I hope the front element of the 500 is waterproof (I think Canon says it's "gasketed").

John

Don't worry, the lens never meets the water. I'm going to tease you now by not expanding on that:)
If you can't work out the solution, I've explained it in a few previous posts. Many thanks for your comments. Do get back to me if you can't find it.

John Chardine
10-18-2009, 03:25 PM
John

Don't worry, the lens never meets the water. I'm going to tease you now by not expanding on that:)
If you can't work out the solution, I've explained it in a few previous posts. Many thanks for your comments. Do get back to me if you can't find it.

Can't find it Ian. Sorry!

Ian Mason
10-19-2009, 02:14 AM
Can't find it Ian. Sorry!

John

You need to find a pond that has a waterfall or weir as an outlet. You then sit below the outlet, with the camera and tripod set up at water level as it crosses the outlet. Luckily in my case, the water flows gently over the edge and I can even set up a small stool if I wish. The most dramatic effects occur when the lower edge of the lens is below water level and when the water is flat, but then autofocus becomes very difficult, especially with disturbed water.

Ian

John Chardine
10-19-2009, 06:01 AM
Got it. Thanks Ian!