PDA

View Full Version : Starry Night at Delicate Arch

Roman Kurywczak
02-12-2008, 05:14 PM
I just returned from Arches Sunday night after a 6 night trip. The Mark lll has opened up the night world again with the high ISO's now possible (6400) allow us to capture things we previously couldn't. 18 hours of sleep in 6 full days.............I had to go to work (construction) to get some rest! :D
As mentioned........ISO 6400, high ISO noise reduction enabled, 17-40mm canon lens at 17mm on tripod for 30 seconds. Noise Ninja applied in CS2.
Now I'll never get any sleep!
Roman

Bret Edge
02-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Very nice, Roman. I might have been up there for sunset on the same day this way taken. The star points really make this a standout.

Robert Amoruso
02-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Awesome. Is there anyway to get low enough to get the arch totally against the sky. It has been so long since I had been there I do not recall.

Roman Kurywczak
02-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Hi Robert,
The short answer is yes.............if it's not snow covered!!!!!..........otherwise you risk life and limb!
Roman

BillPelzmann
02-12-2008, 10:23 PM
I like these starfield exposures. Is that moonlight on the arch and a city light glow on the horizon?

Fabs Forns
02-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Amazing sky!!!

Judd Patterson
02-13-2008, 02:07 AM
I can relate to sleepless night out taking photographs...it's a lot of fun! Great work here to capture a unique view of a iconic formation. I think I would prefer this with a warmer color balance to remove some of the cyan from the red rock. Nice job!

Mike Moats
02-13-2008, 06:49 AM
Hey Roman, what a magical look this has, really well done.

D. Robert Franz
02-13-2008, 08:46 AM
Love this kind of photography. In the old days we would have used a red gel on the light to paint the arch and warm it up a bit but I guess you could achieve that in the PP. Fine effort and worth the lack of sleep....

Roman Kurywczak
02-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Hi All,
Thanks for the kind words...it makes the effort worth it. To answer a few questions...........that is not moonlight on the arch but a headlamp. I did multiple exposures with different light sources to achieve a warmer look. In this view, I was trying to imitate moomlight. Some people prefer the warmer light ones..........I like them both. That is light polllution from the city of Moab in the lower horizon. I would have gotten lower to eliminate it but for the aforementioned snow! There's always hopefully next time.....but I probably won't have snow.
Roman

Ed Cordes
02-13-2008, 09:53 PM
This is really outstanding. I hope you were careful getting back down in the dark!