PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE ON NIGHT PHOTOGRAPHY?

Paul Randall
10-14-2009, 02:58 PM
I have a pair of Australian Boobook owls (owlet size, about 10 inches high) nesting around the corner from me and I am having troubles getting good shots of them. I am using a torch to get focus and a Canon 430 speedlite + better beamer but its proving hard work.
If any one has some advice on settings etc it would be much appreciated. I am using a 5D with a 400mm f5.6 L.

Thanks in advance, Paul Randall:)

Ákos Lumnitzer
10-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Hi Paul

Depends on how far they are from you really I think. In any case, I do a bit of night photography of possums and some birds when they show and here are my settings. You can vary them of course, depending on circumstances.

I always hand hold and use manual mode. I opt for ISO400 around f/8 and 1/125th. Same flash and beamer and would try flash EC at 0 then go up or down with exposure depending on how I am going. If you stop down for more DOF you would most likely want to increase flash output. I'd try +1 EC for every f/stop to gain DOF if you know what I mean. The flash provides your light so don't worry about the slow shutter speed as the light source stops emitting is much faster than 1/125th. My friend Alex Zografos had the same concern (in case you also would) and quickly stopped worrying after a little bit of shooting. All my recent Barn Owl images (including BIF) were at my above suggested settings, HH and manually focused. AF is slow I found and Boobooks will be fine for MF IMHO. Don't hesitate to shoot me an e-mail if you want. :)