PDA

View Full Version : Landing

Ursula Dubrick
10-14-2009, 12:56 PM
The Great Blue Heron on the left was not expecting to have company. Photo taken at the Viera Wetlands, Viera, FL. I appreciate comments & critiques.

Camera; Nikon D300
500 mm VR lens, ISO 640, 1/1250 at F6.3

http://www.udubrickphotos.com/photos/680784607_PiwRr-L.jpg

Nicki Gwynn Jones
10-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Hi Ursula,
This is a lovely action shot and you have beautiful feather detail and sharpness. As the left side is slightly clipped I might be tempted to crop the right side a little tighter just to balance out the composition. The white might be a little hot, but I'll leave that to one of the experts!
Best,
Nicki

Daniel Cadieux
10-14-2009, 02:11 PM
I like the palm perch, and the interaction is good too. I like the pale blue colouring if the sky. Excellent wing-up pose. I find the comp tight - the bird at left has clipped feathers, and the one at right clipped toes...the square frame confirms this is a crop so perhaps you have a bit more room to add back? Yes, the whites on the incoming heron's throat are burnt.

Ursula Dubrick
10-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Thank you for your comments. I did crop this shot a bit much. I think I was trying to eliminate some of the foreground. I'm not sure how to correct the "burnt" look of the incoming Heron's whites.

Ben Egbert
10-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Love it. These landing at the nest shots are great. Good exposure, sharp, background and good eyes on both birds, hard to get when there are two. I can even excuse the meger at the left for the overall feel of this image.

Ákos Lumnitzer
10-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Well done despite the burnt whites. You must be very pleased to have captured this wonderful interaction. :)

Michael Zajac
10-14-2009, 04:43 PM
All techs covered. Wish for more room but you did well getting them both in the frame. Adding canvas will be easy.

Connie Mier
10-14-2009, 06:25 PM
I agree with the cropping comments above, but you did a great job on feather exposure and very sharp to boot. The whites are a bit burnt, but if you let people know which software you are processing in, someone can give you a very quick explanation on how to take care of the burned whites. Mayb be a simply adjustment on the histogram (recovery).

Arthur Morris
10-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Love it but for the clipped toes and the too-tight left side. For info on handling the whites there are several threads in Educational Resources that will help. Just look at the titles and you will figure it out which ones will help <smile>

Ursula Dubrick
10-14-2009, 07:43 PM
I use Capture NX2 for my post processing. I'll take a look at the threads in Educational Resources that Artie suggested. Thank you.

Harshad Barve
10-14-2009, 09:25 PM
all techs well covered and agreed. Lovely moment you have freezed here
ER section is very useful , My experience says so
TFS

Kiran Poonacha
10-15-2009, 01:47 AM
Would have loved more space around, loved the moment frozen, congrats..