PDA

View Full Version : Porcupine Mountains

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-14-2009, 06:06 AM
Just got back from the Porcupine Mountains for five days of exploring for waterfalls, but every morning got up to the Lake of the Clouds to shoot. Winds were 25 to 50 mph all the time I was there with snow and rain most of the time.
Shot one image of sky and one of the valley as range was too much for camera.
Canon MarkIII
f/16
lens 17-40mm
iso 100
tripod

Robert Amoruso
10-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Dennis,

You stated your made two images. Was this combined as HDR or layered in PS?

I really like the range of tonality captured here - certainly looks like HDR - I like how you processed this, very dramatic.

Good flow to the composition both from the river and the valley diagonal in the frame. Nice inclusion of the rock out-cropping on right; again acting as a diagonal. Clouds are over the top in detail and drama. That patch of fog is icing on the cake.

Nice work.

Roman Kurywczak
10-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Hey Dennis,
OK.....so this one doesn't look like a natural HDR or merge.......still like what you did with it as it is very dramatic! Love the way the curve of the river leads you to the low clouds and the way the rock outcropping balances the sky nicely.....just watch the little greyish rock on the LRC.....and this works very well.....a bit surreal maybe....but in this case I like it very much.

Jackie Schuknecht
10-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Thought this was HDR when I first opened it. Good job of blending and I think the dramatic colours throughout the whole image work very well. Like the mist, adds a really nice focal point.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks everybody, this was two images one exposed for the valley and the other the sky painted in the sky in photoshop. Tried to get it as close as what I saw as really dramatic weather was coming in and 3" of snow the next day which gave a whole new look on the same place, but shooting between snow squalls and 50 mph winds made it a real challenge that day. Thanks for your help it is really appreciated.

Fabs Forns
10-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Good job on the post processing, sometimes I like to blend manually also.

Rich Ikerd
10-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Great job on the processing Dennis. The scene is just full of detail and gives a great sense of depth. Nicely done!

Morkel Erasmus
10-16-2009, 10:28 AM
just love the rich colour, drama and strong composition here Dennis. great job on the blending/painting
:)