PDA

View Full Version : Avian Image Critiques ?

Mike Tracy
02-12-2008, 03:03 PM
I haven't posted many images here since finding this resource because frankly I haven't had the time lately to get out and photograph much and the few I have taken have not been anything to crow about. I also don't care to dig up photos from the past that might have been posted elsewhere just to rehash them here. My question pertains to the A.I.C. section though. I have not participated to the extent I intended in critiquing others therefore it would seem on the surface I am not a active member although I stop by daily to silently learn and observe. Are there any forum rules implied or stated that says when I come across a photo I enjoy that I can not just give a attaboy ? Usually the respective images shortcomings what ever they may be have already been pointed out and my insights would just be repetitive but a pat on the back is always nice to get if deserved. I don't want to water down a thread and this site becomes another one where every posted image is considered "great".

Jim Neiger
02-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Mike,

Critiques aren't only about an image's flaws. When you like an image, please take a moment to say what you like about it and why.

Alfred Forns
02-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Mike the one thing we are tying to keep from happening is the "great shot" comment You don't have to go into extreme detail on why you liked the image I think if it is good enough for you to comment then there should be something for you to say Not complicated !!!

Fabs Forns
02-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Ditto, Mike. You can say Great work and take one more minute and say why you think it's great. Pats on the back are good too, if they come with a reason.
Thanks for bringing this up!

Jeff Nadler
02-12-2008, 04:05 PM
when I come across a photo I enjoy

When we see an image that we "enjoy", it is usually not because of specific technical accomplishments-sharpness, exposure, etc. It is because we have an emotional reaction to it, whether it is humor, familiarity, cuteness, even sadness. Anotherwards, it is the subject or its composition that impacts us. I would think that this is fairly easy to comment on versus saying, "sharp", "detailed", "nice white exposure", "nice background", etc.

Thus, we may want to offer, more than great shot:

made me laugh, made me sad, artistic, grabbed my interest immediately, life-like in dimension, etc.

great shot communicates nothing.

Robert Amoruso
02-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Good point Jeff.

Ron Spomer
02-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Jeff,
Great thought. (sorry, couldn't resist, won't happen again.)
Ron

Blake Shadle
02-12-2008, 06:20 PM
It's quality over quantity here at BPN. If you have the time, and you find an image that really strikes you, let the photographer know that his/her image has impact and what about the photo makes you feel that way. I'm glad that you brought this up, Mike.

Maxis Gamez
02-12-2008, 06:47 PM
I have to agree with Blake on this one. There are some amazing images here that deserve something more than "Great shot".