PDA

View Full Version : Namib Kopje

Morkel Erasmus
10-13-2009, 05:12 AM
I created this image the morning after we had finished the hike of the Fish River Canyon in Namibia. The landscape around the Canyon is known is 'Nama Karoo', and consists of wide open bushveld plains, dotted with rocky knolls known as 'kopjes'. This morning I sat on a large boulder on such a kopje, waiting for the mists to lift. Eventually the sun broke through and stroked the landscape with golden light.

The light and space in Namibia is exquisite. You can see the fog lifting from another kopje on the horizon to the left.

C&C welcome...

Techs:
Canon 1000D with Tamron 70-300mm Di Tele-Macro @ 77mm
f11 @ 1/125 SS @ ISO-400
Partial Metering

Robert Amoruso
10-13-2009, 07:44 AM
You have good detail in the shadows which I like and feel important for such landscapes in strong light.

The FG rocks in shadow on left are interesting but I think overpower the middle ground too much. I think moving left and back some so they balanced better with the large escarpment (don't think that is the correct description though) in the middle ground and not so large in the FG.

Reminds me a lot of the American Southwest.

Morkel Erasmus
10-13-2009, 01:23 PM
thanks Robert. I literally didn't have half the knowledge on landscape composition then than I do now, and wish I had taken more shots on the morning - but truth be told my memory cards were full after the hike and I had gotten up very early after a gruelling 80km hike so I was happy at the time with the shots I took. When I go back to Namibia again I will spend a lot more time on photography :)

Fabs Forns
10-13-2009, 05:24 PM
I agree with Robert's assessment. The rocks on the left are overpowering. Still a very interesting scene for us to enjoy :)

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-14-2009, 05:30 AM
Very nice, Agree with Robert also a tweak to the sky would help the image too.

Roman Kurywczak
10-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Hi Morkel,
My first thoughts were exactly like Roberts so I don't have much to add....but I did think about this one for a while and will offer you something you may want to try......lighten those rocks on the left FG a bit and darken the sky a bit......I do wonder if the evened out tones will help the overall image? Would be worth exploring before the next big hike!!!

Morkel Erasmus
10-14-2009, 11:23 PM
thanks for the feedback Dennis, Fabs & Roman...

Roman - I tried your suggestions - how does it work for you now? I think it did help...

Roman Kurywczak
10-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Hi Morkel,
Here's my take....I lowered the contrast a bit on the MG (reverse s-curve) and then added blacks to the neutrals and blacks in selective color......lightened FG and FG rocks......hit the contrast up a bit.......levels layer on the sky. I did run NR on the entire image.....just because I was working on the small jpeg and it looked like it needed it a bit.....saved at 67 quality. Balanceing the tones a bit helped IMO but let me know your thoughts.

Roman Kurywczak
10-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Looks very close to your on closer examination....I have a little less contrast on the MG. I might like your repost better!

Morkel Erasmus
10-15-2009, 02:07 PM
thanks for taking the time to work on it Roman. I like what you've done too.
I just selected the FG rocks and upped levels (midtone slider). Then I selected the sky and did a multiplied layer on it to taste. I already applied reverse s-curves and selective blacks in the OP.