PDA

View Full Version : Moose Falls

Fabs Forns
10-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Two images blended by hand rather than HDR to keep my water in check :)
Moose Falls, YNP, on cloudy conditions. VariNduo filter used.

Model: NIKON D3
Lens (mm): 48 (70-200/2.8)
ISO: Low1
Aperture: 22
Shutter: not recorded, probably between 20 and 30 seconds.

David Thomasson
10-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Is this where Moosie Moose comes to bathe, Fabs?

Lots of subtle, beautiful colors in this image. I just had to roam around in it and see what I could bring out a little more. A serene location and pleasing photo.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/6519/moosefalls.jpg

Fabs Forns
10-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Very nice repost and thanks for doing it :)
I had missed your touch!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-13-2009, 05:56 AM
Very nice Fabs, as have been shooting waterfalls the last few days and really love to see other falls. Good job on the colors and water. Love the composition

Robert Amoruso
10-13-2009, 07:55 AM
Fabs,

Nicely composed and subtle lighting capitalized upon well. How were the two images different that you needed to blend them?

David,

Do you mind elaborating on how you did the repost.

Fabs Forns
10-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Fabs,

Nicely composed and subtle lighting capitalized upon well. How were the two images different that you needed to blend them?

David,

Robert,

I kept the water from the darker one and the colors of the lighter one. My intentions were to HDR, I had three exp, but then though HDR was going to blur my water even more and I like it as is. Just brought the lighter image on top of the dark one and masked the water out.

Thanks, everyone!

Robert Amoruso
10-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks Fabs. Appreciate the feedback on your thought process.

David Thomasson
10-13-2009, 04:18 PM
David,

Happy to. Other than setting white point, the main brightening effects were done with what is often called "paint with light." Here's the trick:
Open a blank layer, fill with black, and change blend mode to color dodge. Paint with white on that layer to enhance colors. It's a very strong
effect, so I generally use about 3% brush opacity (and a soft brush). You can also paint with colors.

Left is the original. Middle is after PWL. Right is the PWL layer. Note how little white was needed.

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/901/pwl.jpg

Harold Davis
10-13-2009, 04:31 PM
thanks for sharing that info, david. very interesting and a nice repost! awesome base image. i love the slow shutter speed here.

Roman Kurywczak
10-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Hi Fabs,
Very nicely composed and Davids tweaks are right on and give it that punch. In a final version hope you digitally remove the whiter branches and trunks......I won't tell:D. Those little twigs always make me nuts!!!
All in all very nicely composed and perfect choice of SS!