PDA

View Full Version : Dusk in the Everglades

susanschermer
10-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Trying to learn to improve my landscapes. Thank you Paul and Roman. This one from Saturday evening just after sunset.
40D with 10-22mm lens at 18mm. polarizer and 3 stop gradND filter.
ISO 400, f16, 2.5 sec, EV +.67 - tripod

Critiques welcome.

Bogdan Coltea
10-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Hi Susan
I like this very much. Wonderful colors and composition.
Two things draw me back though.
The image can benefit from a bit of sharpening - it looks slightly soft as presented.
Also some NR (or some smoothing) for the sky. I notice some noise (or posterization) on the darker part of it.

Jackie Schuknecht
10-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Very pretty image and colours Susan. I like the composition. Think it could benefit from a little more sharpening and some NR as mentioned.. Otherwise well seen IMO.

Fabs Forns
10-12-2009, 04:21 PM
A little post processing would make this one really shine.
Where did you focus for this one? At 2.5 secs, you may have some breeze stirring your trees.

susanschermer
10-12-2009, 06:14 PM
I focused in between the foreground and the BG. The reflections are naturally soft. I ran this through noise Ninja and sharpened the area of the BG trees for the repost. Any further suggestions.

Andreas Freund
10-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Hi Susan,

I really like your picture! But as already mentioned there is still some noise in the picture (especially the sky).

Morkel Erasmus
10-13-2009, 05:24 AM
Hi Susan - nice shot! love the colours and reflection.
The image still seems soft to me, especially the treeline. for me the trees also look to be standing skew so I think there is a middle way between straightening the horizon and making the tree appear straight when rotating?

Robert Amoruso
10-13-2009, 08:10 AM
Susan,

The FG is leaving me wanting. The grass stalks are intersecting the right edge so I would have preferred to see the image extended more right to not have that happen. On the left it looks like you were going to just get more of a tangle so I think stopping it there was a good choice. I like the pink hues and feel you captured that well. I would have gone just a bit lower to capture the remaining curvature of the submerged rock now clipped.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Nice composition Susan, I think it is too bright in the right tree line as my eye keeps going there, also agree with Robert on the reeds. Good job on the colors and reflection

Roman Kurywczak
10-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Hi Susan,
I see you found one of my favorite spots in the Glades! Noise mentioned and an easy fix and the repost does look a bit better/sharper......I will add this.....I agree with Robert on the clipped Reeds on the right......you could have gone a bit wider with the 10-22 to include them and I would have gone more FG instead of sky....remember...you can always crop down a touch. You should try focusing about a1/3 of the way into an image ......this will maximize the DOF. Remember that you can hold the split on a diagonal......darkest part to the lightest....this will help with some of the brightest area but it is the way things naturally appear.....so I am OK with it as presented. Just pay more attention to the edges and include those grasses.....this spot will give you plenty of great opportunities!