PDA

View Full Version : Another leaf

Nick Palmieri
10-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Julie's single leaf reminded me of this image I recently took on a trip to the Adirondacks. This leaf was under the water about 1 foot deep just sitting there. When I shot the image I thought it was great but upon final review I thought the BG hurt it.

Tripod mounted Canon EOS 40D, ISO 100, f/18. SS 1/10. 24-105mm at 105mm.

Opinions???

Julie Kenward
10-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Nick, I really like this! I'm glad my image reminded you to go dig it out.

One thing I thought when I first looked at it was how close in tone the sand and leaf were. I selected the leaf and lowered the midtones with a levels adjustment just a touch, then inverted the selection and lightened the midtones for the sand just a touch. I think it gave a little more tonal depth to the image.

I see you put the leaf in the ROT's position but I still think it had a bit too much sand around it so I cropped just a bit, moving the leaf so it filled 2/3 of the frame and letting the sand only have 1/3. These are just suggestions but I think they bumped the image up a notch - and it was already pretty darn good to start with. See what you think...

Nick Palmieri
10-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Very nice re-post! I like it a lot better.

Harshad Barve
10-13-2009, 10:16 PM
lovely compo , expo and details , repost looks better
TFS

Mike Moats
10-14-2009, 05:00 AM
Hey Nick, I think Jules repost helped control the negative space. Its common to see photogs add to much negative space that overpowers the main subject. Nice color in the leaf and good contrast between the main subject and the BG.

Ramesh Adkoli
10-14-2009, 10:51 AM
A simple idea that was presented well, Nick. Julie's repost made it better. Thanks Julie for explaining your PP. Learnt something more. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Anita Bower
10-17-2009, 06:44 AM
Simple and effective, especially the repost. I like the diagonal, the textures, the colors.