PDA

View Full Version : White peacock butterfly

Rod Wiley
10-11-2009, 07:33 PM
This image was captured with the Nikon D300 and 200-400 f4 lens at f 7.1 ISO 200 -0.3EV 1/160 SB800 flash

www.rjwileyphoto.com (http://www.rjwileyphoto.com)
www.adayintheswamp.com (http://www.adayintheswamp.com)

Harshad Barve
10-11-2009, 11:08 PM
beautiful image with nice compo , details, sharpness and BG
TFS

Nick Palmieri
10-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Nice capture and great butterfly. I am wondering if it is a bit over-exposed as the head/body of the butterfly seem a little bright to me. Could be my monitor.

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Great looking butterfly. Love the details in this one.

Jerry van Dijk
10-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Hi Rod, nice butterfly! Seems very well exposed on my monitor. Wonderful details and great DOF with both antennae in focus. I do wish for some more room to the left, right, and bottom. It feels a bit tight now and adding room would make more use of the diagonal provided by the leaves.
Kind regards,

Jerry.

Julie Kenward
10-12-2009, 06:51 PM
I think you have a nice start on a beautiful butterfly portrait, Rod. The white peacock (one of my all-time favorites!) is clean, in good shape, and the DOF is really nice although I think you could use a tad more sharpening on it. The plant is also nice although I think if this were mine, I'd consider cloning out the two leaves at the base that cross each other - they don't really add to the image.

The only thing I'm struggling with on this is the variation in shades on the BG. It's nicely diffused and blurred but there are some really strong areas of darkness in that upper left corner (ULC) that I'm not sure gives you the best look. I'd love to see the BG closer to the color of beige that you have in the lower right corner (LRC).

May I ask what time of day you took this? I see you dialed in negative exposure compensation but then used flash. Can you tell me why you chose this over going with regular compensation and no flash? I'm just wondering if the darkness in the BG would have been more even if the flash hadn't been used in this case.

Overall, I think you have a nice portrait - it could use a little more room around the right side and top to give the butterfly a bit more room to expand into. I also think if you had taken one more step to the left you would have been straight on to the bf instead of having his head slightly turned away.

Marina Scarr
10-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Really like the colors, composition and details here. The exposure looks on the money to me.