PDA

View Full Version : East Asian Shorebirds - downloadable book

Phil Battley
10-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Hi all,

I was lucky enough to be involved in a unique book on the shorebirds of the East Asian-Australasian Flyway that was launched earlier this year at the Ramsar Convention of Parties in South Korea. The book features the stunning photography of Jan van de Kam, a Dutch photographer who has a great eye for capturing both the biology and beauty of shorebirds, often in remote places and from a portable hide on tidal flats. The book is image-heavy and text-light, as it was aimed at an audience for whom the fundamentals of shorebird migration may not be known. With the focus of the Flyway (and the book) being the Yellow Sea, the text is in English, Korean and Chinese.

While the printed book is currently only available through NHBS, you can download a 21 Meg electronic copy for free from:

http://www.wetlands.org/WatchRead/tabid/56/mod/1570/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/2181/Invisible-Connections.aspx

This version was funded by Wetlands International, and there should be an English-only version published by CSIRO coming out next year that we hope to get into more general markets.

The images in the book are drawns from Jan's work in some fantastic places - Alaska, Chukotka and Yakutia in Russia, China, South Korea, NW and SE Australia, and New Zealand. It includes wonderful species like Great Knots and Spoon-billed Sandpipers on the breeding grounds, and legendary places such as Broome, in Australia.

Please download and enjoy, and if you like the look of the book you can then go for a printed copy!

Regards, Phil

Ilija Dukovski
10-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Phil,

Thank you for sharing the info with us. I had a quick look at the book
and I liked what I saw. The images are great. I'm looking forward to reading it too.

Cheers,