PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Scene (Northern Utah)

John Blumenkamp
10-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Here is an image I created last weekend north of Park City, Utah... the day before we had snow at upper elevations, so there were a good amount of clouds moving through as the skies cleared with nice periods of sun.

7D w/ 24-105 f/4 @47mm
1/250 f/8 iso200

Thanks for looking,
John

Harshad Barve
10-11-2009, 11:12 PM
beautiful compo and lovely feel of place
TFS

Hilary Hann
10-12-2009, 03:06 AM
Good composition with the hill falling diagonally. Great range of colours in the vegetation which is offset by the blue sky. Like this.

Ed Vatza
10-12-2009, 04:11 AM
Nice color and beautiful sky, John. Good work.

Nick Palmieri
10-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Very nice John!

Roman Kurywczak
10-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Hey John,
Nice use of the slope and lines of color to make a strong diagonal flow. It is also balanced nicely by the smaller slope on the left and the clouds are the finishing touch. Over polarised???.....since I am partial to blues.....not to my tastes....but pulling back a touch might make the whites a bit crisper. All in all very nicely done.

John Blumenkamp
10-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Peter - yes, I did use a polarizer.

Roman - I did some adjustments with the selective color tool, increasing the blacks in the blue color to deepen the sky some. I realize this is all subjective, and I'm trying variations to see what I like best.... thought I'd put this one up to see what others think.

On that note, this image was shot at approximately 3pm in the afternoon, with the sun still fairly high in the sky. I remember reading something from James Kay awhile back, where he talked about shooting autumn scenes late morning/early afternoon and implementing a polarizer, so this was my experimentation with this image and time of day.

Fabs Forns
10-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Ah, it makes feel like I'm still there :) Strong diagonal of mountain making the compo :)

Robert Amoruso
10-13-2009, 08:27 AM
John,

The strong V in the slope really makes this image dramatic with the clouds completing the look. I would prefer to see the clouds showing more white so in the repost I used a levels correction and set a white point on the brightest section of the clouds. THis make the yellow oversaturate so I painted black on those in the mask. The white point balance also made the rest of the image pop more IMO.

John Blumenkamp
10-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the suggestions and repost Robert... I also worked more on this image and some others from that afternoon, and have been working with the 'selective color' adjustment layer, varying the black slider on the white color selection... do you use this tool as well to achieve the same result?

Robert Amoruso
10-13-2009, 11:25 AM
I do you selective color to darken/lighten colors by adding/reducing black. Great for skies. I think here, setting the white point would work better as the clouds had a higher level of blue in them. They were not very neutral in color (i.e. RGB all close in value).

Morkel Erasmus
10-13-2009, 01:53 PM
interesting tweaks discussed here. like the shapes and colours in the shot and think Robert's repost enhances the OP. lovely autumn colours!