PDA

View Full Version : Image Stabilisers - When to use ?

philperry
10-11-2009, 11:43 AM
What does everyone recommend when using a long telephoto (e.g. 400mm + 1.4x) resting on a bean bag. Is it best to keep the lens' image stabiliser switched on or off ? Does it make a difference ? I normally press my lens down into the bean bag and am not sure which IS technique I should be using.

Roger Clark
10-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Phil,
I think it depends on the lens and the generation of the image stabilization. I assume Canon since you are saying IS. What 400 mm lens? On the type 1 IS, I would turn it off under three circumstances: shutter speed above about 1/1,000 second, when stable as on a tripod, and long exposure times on a tripod, about 1/10 second or longer. A beanbag can be quite stable too so you might not need IS for shutter speeds above about 1/300 sec. If newer IS, I leave it on most of the time, except for very long exposure times on a tripod (longer than about 1/10 second). At higher magnifications, above about 500mm, small vibrations occur on tripods and beanbags so IS helps, especially in the 1/10 to 1/500 second range, at least in my experience.

philperry
10-12-2009, 02:47 AM
Thanks Roger, that is very useful

I am using a Canon EF 400mm f4 DO IS with a 1.4x

Roger Clark
10-12-2009, 08:04 AM
Phil,
As that is a newer lens design, it probably has the newer IS system. If you can confirm that, then it will work well pretty much all the time, except very slow shutter speeds.

philperry
10-12-2009, 08:18 AM
Thanks Roger. It is one of the most recent Canon lens designs. So I think I will carry on using the IS. I just need to keep working on my technique to get more reliable critical sharpness. I think that now and again I lose sharpness by stabbing at the shutter release button - I need to keep the action smoother. At least I need not worry that the IS is introducing any blur.

jpons
10-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Roger is correct, and the 400 DO DOES have the IS version that will detect when on a tripod or other stationary object, so I would most definitely keep the IS on.

I shoot from a beanbag with my 500/4 very often and always have the IS on.

-J

philperry
10-15-2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks Juan. That's very reassuring. It is so easy these days to make a small mistake in technique that loses that 'would have been' photo.