PDA

View Full Version : I'm happy (gull)

wendell westfall
10-10-2009, 06:58 PM
D70s 70-200VR+2X@190 1/400 f/5.0 ISO200 0EV handheld

I'm not sure what species of gull this is, but to me it looks young -- and happy with its catch. This picture was taken awhile back on a cloudy morning. I'm looking down on the bird. The crop is minimal. I don't think the whites are too hot? Are they? And I don't know why there is a blue cast on the far wing?

Wendell

Jeff Cashdollar
10-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Wendell, how does histogram look. Maybe a few warm spots, maybe not. Overall nice picture. Love the composition and cool looking water. Techs are good for cloudy day, maybe bump up ISO to gain shutter speed - well done.

Did you selective sharpen the eye, could it be clearer - let's see what others say?

Great Job!

wendell westfall
10-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Jeff, the histogram shows no "warm spots." No, I did not sharpen the eye, but I did add the catchlight. Thanks for your comments.

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
10-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Love the shape of the wings and fish in the beak is a big plus, the circular ripple around the bird is nice too. The whites are not hot except the outer rim of the wing and it's very minimal, so no worry there. The blue cast might come from reflection of something (just a guess here).

Alfred Forns
10-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Hi Wendell the cast should be from the water ... and did you have to open up the exposure any?
Whites look good btw if you are set up for that image normally you want to frame loosely since the bird is going to take off and straighten its wings !!! Excellent !!

wendell westfall
10-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Alfred, thanks for your opinion about the blue cast . . . I did selectively open the blacks on that wing a bit, but the blue cast was not affected . . . And, yes, the bird did take right off . . .