PDA

View Full Version : Augur Buzzard

Randy Stout
10-10-2009, 04:53 PM
This is a captive bird, imaged this afternoon in Michigan. The augur is a subspecies of the Jackal Buzzard, and is found in Ethiopia, Uganda,Sudan and eastern Congo. A group of raptors were being displayed at our annual Crane Fest for the fall migration of sandhill cranes.

Other than the coloration, very similar to the red tailed buteo, including the red tail!

D700 70-200 f/2.8 f/8 1/3200 sec ISO 800 SB800 on manual handheld full frame

Post: Opened in NX2, slight exposure adjustment, then selective sharpening, removal of extra catchlight in PS

Advice always appreciated.

Harshad Barve
10-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Not a fan of captive birds but I must say you have fabulous shot here
TFS

Paul Randall
10-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Really nice shot Randy. I have no problem with captive bird shots as long as all is disclosed.
You have done a great job with this subject. I would try and boost the yellow around the beak and gape to bring it out. Well done.

Art Kornienko
10-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Exposure is very nice, not sure about the crop, would have like to see the eye a bit sharper.

Stu Bowie
10-11-2009, 04:07 AM
Hi Randy, I have no problem with captive birds, and you have disclosed it. The comp works well, and I like the angled head, together with the show of the tongue. Good job with the exposure on the blacks, and I would maybe selectively sharp the head and beak. You could also blend in the light green area on the RHS in the BG. Cheers.

denise ippolito
10-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Randy, I like your choice of comps. The open mouth and head turn look great. I also think the details are very nice.