PDA

View Full Version : Damselfly

John Cooper
02-12-2008, 05:25 AM
This Damselfly waits for the first rays of sunlight to kick-start its metabolism.

Canon EOS 5, Canon 100mm macro, ISO 100, Natural light - early morning, 2 secs F16, Tripod.

Robert Amoruso
02-12-2008, 08:08 AM
Very cool and I like the composition.

I am wondering about the darker BG above the DF. Distracting? I am not sure. It does frame him nicely.

Perch is great and nice study itself.

intoit
02-12-2008, 09:11 AM
excellent capture - perfect dof, great exposure, fantastic detail - the bg doesn't bother me in the least and I love the diagonal the body forms in the frame - very nicely done indeed!!

Matthew Pugh
02-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Hi
A smashing shot of this lovely fellow, with all of that dew around the head area it is almost like he is wearing a cap
The only real suggestion I have is perhaps because you have paralleled this subject so nicely, you might have be able to open up a bit more to increase the background blur, without overly effected the sharp look of this pretty subject.
But this is minor, and probably an option you explored already - and certainly one highly entertaining view
All the best
Matthew

Jim Poor
02-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Very nice. The perch alone makes quite a nice subject and then add the real subject for WOW.

I take it the key to these type images is to get to them before they are warm enough to fly away? I'll have to try that soon.

Mike Moats
02-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Hey John, awesome image, beautiful details, colors, and comp. I think Matthew makes a good point with opening up as the plane of the subject looks pretty flat, and would have help softening the BG. Great work as usual.

John Cooper
02-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Very cool and I like the composition.

I am wondering about the darker BG above the DF. Distracting? I am not sure. It does frame him nicely.

Perch is great and nice study itself.

Yes hear what you are saying Robert, I have played around with the BG a few times cloning out the dark corner. But i wanted to retain the OOF reed appearence and I wasn't clever enogh to achieve this with my cloning technique - so kept coming back to the original.

John Cooper
02-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Hey John, awesome image, beautiful details, colors, and comp. I think Matthew makes a good point with opening up as the plane of the subject looks pretty flat, and would have help softening the BG. Great work as usual.

Yes Mathew and Mike make a good point - its a common fault with me trying to get too much DOF and so the BG suffers - something I have to work on - more use of my DOF preview button :)

Robert O'Toole
02-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Love the subject positioning and the details, superb, it has a metallic quality.
What is the Sp? I looks like a helicopter compared to the little red d-fly I posted.

Robert

Tony Kirkby
02-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi

Personally I woudn't change a thing the background frame the subject nicely.
Cheers
Tony