PDA

View Full Version : Fly agaric

thijs broekkamp
10-10-2009, 11:59 AM
My first fly agrics this year. There were a bunch of them along the road in the naturel area. Canon 30d with canon 70-300mm. 1/125e, f 5.6 iso 200 -0,3 EV @ 300mm.

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae54/thijsbroekkamp/IMG_5063bwrktsrgb-1.jpg

Julie Kenward
10-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Thijs, can you tell me what a fly agaric is? I'm afraid I haven't heard that term before.

thijs broekkamp
10-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Google it up. It's a mushroom! ;)

Julie Kenward
10-11-2009, 07:52 AM
Okay...now that I know I'm looking at the mushroom and not just the little specs ON the mushroom...

Thijs, you didn't post the specs (aperture, shutter speed, type of metering, WB, etc...) that I need in order to do a proper critique. I feel the image could definitely have used some fill flash, both in the center of the mushroom on the left and below it. From a compositional standpoint, I'm confused by the two different mushrooms - I feel the image might be stronger if you had put 2/3 of the image on one mushroom and maybe 1/3 on the other or just focused in on one by itself.

You did get really nice detail on the side of the shroom on the left and the cap of the one on the right. If you could have also included that amount of focus throughout the entire image I think it would have been much stronger.

Roman Kurywczak
10-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi Thijs,
Interesting contrast of colors and textures. I think this had potential but right now the brighter stem on the bottom of the gilled mushroom is drawing the eye too much. Like jules I would have preferred a bit more of one over the other. I do feel a pano crop.....eliminating the lower bright area helps but for my tastes I still would prefer a bit more DOF. I hope you get more attempts at this because it does look very interesting.

Jerry van Dijk
10-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Hi Thijs, I like what you are trying here. This closeup provides a nice different perspective on the mushrooms instead of the usual "full figure". Agree with the others about a better balance between the top of the one mushroom and the underside of the other.
Kind regards,

Jerry.

thijs broekkamp
10-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the comments. I've included the exif details now. Pretty soon i'll go back to the mushrooms and try it again.