PDA

View Full Version : Superb fairy-wren at breakfast

Thonnaksar NOP
02-12-2008, 05:05 AM
Captured this morning with his big breakfast !

D2Hs, 200-400 VR + TCx1.4, 1/250", f/5.6, @560mm, ISO 200, Fill-flash, Handheld
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/617/ca65855resizeiu3.jpg

John Cooper
02-12-2008, 05:36 AM
Nice sharp image of this Superb Blue Wren Thonnaksar. The captured insect is a real bonus. I think if you had moved the camera a little to the left it would have improved composition. There is a yellow cast evident on my monitor. well done!!

Thonnaksar NOP
02-12-2008, 05:55 AM
Thanks John for your advice for composition. I'll try to reframe the picture later.
For the yellow cast, I'm having some difficulty to get the right colours with my new MacBook (my screen is not calibrated). Actually, I don't have this yellow cast on my "finder" or on "Safari". But when I view the photo on Firefox, there is a very big difference (yellow cast appears) ! I don't know why...

John Cooper
02-12-2008, 06:39 AM
Thanks John for your advice for composition. I'll try to reframe the picture later.
For the yellow cast, I'm having some difficulty to get the right colours with my new MacBook (my screen is not calibrated). Actually, I don't have this yellow cast on my "finder" or on "Safari". But when I view the photo on Firefox, there is a very big difference (yellow cast appears) ! I don't know why...

Yes it makes a big difference if your monitor that you are using to edit your images isn't calibrated. If you don't have access to a colorimeter such as the Colorvision Spyder then Adobe Gamma (or similar) would be a good start.

Alfred Forns
02-12-2008, 08:35 AM
My monitor is calibrated and the image is fine Checked the black areas and they are neutral

I like the pose and capture Colors are nice Would suggest to celan up the bottom by cropping some The one stick on the corner is particualrly eye catching Excellent image !!!

Jim Poor
02-12-2008, 08:59 AM

The big difference here is that Safari is color managed and Firefox is not. You didn't convert the photo to sRGB before posting (it has the profile NIKON MAC MONITOR . . . .) embedded in it now.

Since Firefox is not color managed, it can't read the profile in the image and render it correctly.
Safari, however, will render it as it looked on your screen.

Open the thread in both browsers again, and note whether or not this version matches better what you had intended (converted to sRGB)

Jim Poor
02-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Oh, there is also a visual calibration option for OS X which seems to be better than most calibration devices in some cases. For some reason a lot of people have had trouble calibrating the MacBook monitors well with any device.

Manos Papadomanolakis
02-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Great timing,I Iike Jim`s repost!

Thonnaksar NOP
02-12-2008, 02:17 PM
The big difference here is that Safari is color managed and Firefox is not. You didn't convert the photo to sRGB before posting (it has the profile NIKON MAC MONITOR . . . .) embedded in it now.

Since Firefox is not color managed, it can't read the profile in the image and render it correctly.
Safari, however, will render it as it looked on your screen.

Open the thread in both browsers again, and note whether or not this version matches better what you had intended (converted to sRGB)
On safari, the picture looks great. But on Firefox, the colours still look a bit washed out !

Blake Shadle
02-12-2008, 02:22 PM
I prefer the original posted image. I'm viewing on IE7, calibrated HP w1907 monitor. Great work getting a good background working so close to the ground. Great action and capture.