Jeff Cashdollar
10-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Canon 40D & Canon 400MM 5.6L
HH
Laying on beach
ISO=400
f/5.6
1/2500
White Balance "as is", I warm it a bit to highlight morning colors.

I liked the focus of the eye and the HA - not sure about reflection - what say you?

LRII--->CS4 (Topaz-NR)

Lance Peters
10-10-2009, 12:53 AM
Hi Jeff - love the low shooting angle - IMHO unless the reflection is strong its probably not worth including.
Personally I would like some more room up front for him to walk into.
MIGHT just be my screen - but seems to have a pink cast evident on the bird (reflection from the sand), once again personally I would make the birds plumage white.

Here's my option - now these type of changes might not fit with your own personal ethics - fun to play with.

Desmond Chan
10-10-2009, 02:14 AM
Color cast or not, that is some interesting color! It reminds me of some ice cream :)

Good advice given by Lance. To me, it looks like the bird is walking away from you. Or does it just need some rotation adjustment?

Jeff Cashdollar
10-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Whenever I change the White balance or warm it a tad viewers see it as a color cast. Either I am doing this wrong or I need to stop it, any advise?

The main reason I selected this image for BPN was its beautiful color, thanks for noticing. The morning light at the beach was fantastic.

It is a slight walk away, not enough to hurt the impact of the image IMO anyway.

Gail Spitler
10-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Hi Jeff - I am not sure whether the slight warming of the color works or not; it isn't unusual to have the warm light reflect up onto the bird. The glow of the light would be something I too would want to try to retain in the image. In fact, I'd be thrilled to have captured this light. I take Lance's point about the reflection: it doesn't seem to contribute, looks cut off along the bottom. I also agree with Desmond that the bird seems to be moving away and that the HA is about 3 degrees away from the viewer.

So overall it is wonderful, gentle warm morning light and a perfect subject for the color of the light. I think it may be the composition that doesn't hold up. On the other hand, this is all subjective and a matter of personal taste.

Cheers
Gail
ps - also a lovely beach to have access to.

Jeff Cashdollar
10-10-2009, 10:48 AM
I am trying some new compositions with less room in front of the subjects and trying to break a few rules. The story in the image is, the ocean is behind the bird and he is walking away - I must confess, I like like Lance's repost better. Back to the drawing board.

Alfred Forns
10-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Hi Jeff If a walking away is going to work you had the right one !!! Do love the re post, strong image !!!

Love those tones !!!

Gus Cobos
10-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Hi Jeff,
I like the sweet warm colors. I agree on the reflection and Mr. Peters repost puts it over the top...looking forward to more...:cool:

Jeff Cashdollar
10-10-2009, 10:29 PM
I have several other pictures of this guy, I will post some others and see what everyone thinks - thanks to all.