PDA

View Full Version : Grand Teton NP

Alfred Forns
10-09-2009, 06:11 PM
A view of the Teton Mountains. Had a tough time with fires around the park and lots of smoke, some were "controlled fires" which did not seem in much control !!!

Canon Mk3
17-40 IS
3 image HDR

Comment welcome and much appreciated

Morkel Erasmus
10-10-2009, 01:57 AM
Hi Alfred.

was this shot handheld or from a tripod? it seems that the composition shifted while you were taking the shots and that the software you used for the HDR didn't really align them well after the fact? I'm saying that because it looks very blurry and distorted - unless that is how you wanted to convey it because of the fires?

I think you might do better by using the best exposure of the lot and adjusting with reverse-s-curves etc.

that being said I like the composition and colours, and wish I could see this place one day.
:)

Robert Amoruso
10-10-2009, 08:02 AM
Alfred I like the different layers represented inthe image by the colors for FG to BG. That helps the viewer to experience depth in the image. I like the monochromic look of the mountain and sky as compared to the more colorful FG.

Morkel has a good comment on the blurring if it is a function of shifting trees - perhaps wind?

Not sure I like the inclusion of the taller tree on the right. I agree with how you ended the frame there but for some reason my eye is drawn to it.

Roman Kurywczak
10-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Hi Alfred,
The mood and feel of this is very nice and while the trees may not be razor sharp it doesn't bother me that much as the texture and tone of the mountain is very nice. I'm definitely for tree removal on the LH side.....cloning/patching one branch and cropping the rest out using the V of the 2 intersecting slopes on the left as a guide. The clouds and snow covered mountains are the stars here so just the minor tweak will help bring this to its full potential.

Alfred Forns
10-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Great comments This was made the last day of the trip and did not take out the tripod. All were made handholding and trying for a fast shutter speed for dealing with the wind !!

btw I did not travel with a spare tripod/head. Used the Mongoose and worked fine with the L bracket !!! Only need to make sure the tripod is level !!

Fabs Forns
10-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Very difficult to do hand held landscape, let alone HDR :)
Sometimes we are too lazy to get the tripod out and have to pay for the consequences. Wins is a strong deterrent to HDR capture. Having dais that, a very pleasing image.

Ed Vatza
10-11-2009, 04:40 AM
Not bad for handheld, Alfred. I was trying to create some HDR images yesterday with the tripod and the winds were causing tree blur and cloud blur all over the place. One thing that has worked for me when I want the HDR effect and the wind is causing havoc is to take a single image and then create my exposures in Lightroom before going into Photomatix. That said, the slight blur seems to come with the HDR territory. Still a fine looking image to me.