PDA

View Full Version : Camelthorn Sunset

Morkel Erasmus
10-09-2009, 01:00 PM
This shot was taken in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park recently. We were on our way back to our camp from the late afternoon drive and on top of a dune this scene caught my eye.

I shot this through the car window with a zoom lens as I wanted to place emphasis on the tree and sun, as opposed to creating a wider scape.

I specifically also chose the wide aperture to place the focus on the tree, using the blurry grass in front to lead the eye. It might not be everyone's cup of tea.

The camelthorn tree is the signature tree of the Kalahari, and the role it plays in the ecosystem is quite profound - many creatures depend on it for life. The nests you see here are those of the sociable weaver colonies - they nest together in their hundreds and up to thousands and are in intricate part of the land.

This truly is a magical part of the world - the light, the space, the quiet.

Techs:
Canon 40D with 100-400mm L IS USM @ 105mm
f5.6 @ 1/500 SS @ ISO-400
Exp +0.7

Judy Lynn Malloch
10-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks Morkel for the info on this image. I have been to Botswana but not to the Kalahari which is a place I would love to see. Read the book Cry Of The Kalahari and loved it and have wanted to visit ever since.

You did well to get the focus on the tree and sun from the car. Many thanks for sharing this with us.

Harold Davis
10-09-2009, 04:13 PM
this would have caught my eye too!!!! was there a way for you to get closer to the tree? would have been nice to have the top of the tree clear the horizon line. as presented, i might tone down the warmth of the foreground a little and try to clone in some warmer tones in the sun. looks a little bright. no HDR!?

Morkel Erasmus
10-10-2009, 01:51 AM
thanks for viewing Judy & Harold.

Harold - no way to get closer to the tree, although I have shots where I zoomed in some more :)
This is not HDR (for a change ;)) - one shot...

I did create a layer for the highlights, then burned the sun slightly and flattened with opacity 60% to get the sun a little toned down.

Robert Amoruso
10-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Morkel,

My preference for this scene would have been more separation of the sun and tree to better balance the two competing center of interests in the image.

Roman Kurywczak
10-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi Morkel,
This is a tough exposure and while HDR may have helped the tones I agree with the others on the perspective. It is quite frustrating when we find a nice subject but have no way to get the angle we want.......definitely been there....done that......a different angle had the potential to really make this one special but as presented.....not working for me.

Morkel Erasmus
10-11-2009, 03:37 AM
thanks for your thoughts Roman & Robert. At the time the sun was setting so fast we chose the first spot with a clear view and took some shots :(