PDA

View Full Version : Slot Canyon Log (and a question)

david cramer
10-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Taken during my trip to Lower Antelope Canyon in September. I'm happy with much of this image, but could not get the little glimmer of direct sunlight to form a starburst shooting at f/22 on several attempts. So I've created one, but am not happy with it as it looks too artificial and symmetrical. Any feedback on the image is sought, but I also wonder if someone knows how to create a more authentic starburst? Another option would be to leave it out, but there was a little burst of light in that spot.

http://davidcramer.smugmug.com/photos/648775577_nnsQx-XL.jpg

D300 with 17-55mm @ 34mm, f/22, 15 sec, iso 200, ev +0.67

Judy Lynn Malloch
10-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Stunning image and glorious lighting and detail. Love it David !!!

Harold Davis
10-09-2009, 04:16 PM
wished i could help you, david, but i'll say the first thing i saw as i was scrolling down to view the entire image was the starburst. first thought, that's pretty cool!!! nice compo. i like the diamond and triangles!!

Dave Mills
10-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi David, personally I think the starburst is a distraction on an already pleasing and well composed image...

Chris Hansen
10-10-2009, 12:30 AM
David,
An old photographers trick long forgotten by many is to place a piece of window screen over the lens to create a starburst pattern. A single layer gives a four pointed star. Adding an overlapped layer of screen gives an eight pointed star. To make the star asymetric you just make the overlapping screen on an uneven angle. You can of course use a commercial star filter.

As Mr. mills already stated though it is already a pleasing image. I like the driftwood as you usually don't see too many images of slot canyons with wood in them.

Nice work and god bless,

chris

Harshad Barve
10-10-2009, 12:53 AM
lovely compo and pleasing image
TFS

david cramer
10-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Removing the starburst leaves a rather unattractive blown area, but I can fix that.

Chris - I have not tried using screen mesh to create a burst, so thanks for the idea! Although I'm sure I wouldn't have thought about taking it with me to an underground slot canyon! I should add a bit of it to my backpack for those unexpected moments.

Robert Amoruso
10-10-2009, 08:28 AM
David,

I have to agree with the previous comments and suggest too losing the star burst.

Roman Kurywczak
10-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Hey David,
One of the biggest difficulties of photographing the slots is the sky.....so cloning/patching the bright spot would be my preference over the sunburst too. Very nice thought though but agree with the above.....this is very nice w/o the sunburst!

Morkel Erasmus
10-11-2009, 04:59 AM
love the tones, lines, colours and composition here - and agree with losing the manufactured starburst. interesting idea to use mesh, will have to try it!