PDA

View Full Version : Brant on the Water

Stephen Stephen
10-08-2009, 08:50 PM
I created this image about nearly two weeks ago. I was out with Dan Cadieux and Wayne Wood. We were just getting ready to leave a local pond when I decided to spend a few more minutes trying to capture some images of our lone Brant Goose who has spent the summer, and now part of the fall at one of our parks.

He/she has fed alongside a number of larger Canada's throughout most of that time so getting any images of this bird alone is sometimes a struggle. I would have liked a lower angle but you're not allowed to get into the water at this pond plus the Canada's would have been visible in the background.

Taken around 11:00 a.m. just before I gave up for the morning so the light was quite harsh.

When I look at it as posted I now think that it could use some selective sharpening on the head. Do you think that I've cropped it too tightly?

Canon EOS 40D, Sigma 50-500mm at 266mm on Manfrotto monopod with fill flash. Cropped to about 70% of full frame.

1/800 sec, f/6.3 ISO Equiv.: 250

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/Birds3/Brant01.jpg

Randy Stout
10-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Stephen:

Sometimes persistence pays off. I like the pose, ripples.

Yes, the head is a bit soft. Looks like the light was pretty harsh, but the whites look ok, with some blocking in the blacks.

Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Harshad Barve
10-08-2009, 10:02 PM
lovely image with cute bird
I liked ripples
TFS

John Blumenkamp
10-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Really nice capture... I think the circular ripples in the water set this bird up nicely.

Kiran Poonacha
10-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Loved the pose, good details and The ripples add well to the comp. Congrats..

Chris van Rooyen
10-09-2009, 10:13 AM
I think it is a very pleasing image, I don't have an issue with the angle. Light was perhaps not the best, but I still think you did very well to control the whites. Head could be a tad sharper.

Stephen Stephen
10-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Thank you Randy, Harshad, John, Kiran and Chris.

Paul Lagasi
10-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Good photo under harsh conditions, Stephen...you don't often see this goose in the water...lolol...only place I've seen him/her is eating grass...I wonder if it can fly?...only time wll tell.

Stephen Stephen
10-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks Paul. I was actually wondering that myself since one of his wings seems to look a bit funny sometimes. I've definitely not seen him even flutter into the water from the bank even once during the 4-5 times I've been near him.