PDA

View Full Version : A Little Space

Don Lacy
10-08-2009, 12:09 PM
From my own personal aesthetics I find images that have the subject smaller in the frame a nice change of pace from the usual images I create, what do you guys think can a little space around the subject work?

Dragonfly is a female Halloween Pennant

30D, 300 f/4, 1/320 at f/8, Aperture Priority, Evaluative Metered, ISO 200, Raw, Tripod, Slight Crop

Julie Kenward
10-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Don, I love everything about this image. I think the smaller focal point works here because it is so highly visible and so well focused and exposed. Anything less and you might have had to crop in to make it feel like the main subject but here it works beautifully.

You nailed the aperture and exposure. I'd be beside myself to have this one in my collection!

Steve Maxson
10-08-2009, 05:24 PM
This works for me, Don. Very sharp overall and the background is beautiful. I like the slight diagonal of the stem. While I like this crop, if this was mine, I'd be tempted, as an alternative, to crop more off the right and maybe even a little off the left - giving you a frame in the shape of a bookmark. :) Just a thought.

Mike Fuhr
10-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Very nice -- the background really adds to the image as well. Perch adds some nce interest but takes nothing away from the dfly. I would leave the crop as is.

Harshad Barve
10-09-2009, 09:11 AM
fabulous image with great details
TFS

Vida van der Walt
10-11-2009, 01:47 AM
Beautiful shot Don. I love the space and you captured great wing detail. Beautiful colours as well. I would compose this slightly differently with more space in front (for the dragonfly to look into) and less behind.:)