PDA

View Full Version : Viola sororia

Peter M. Noyes
02-11-2008, 10:41 PM
This violet has many local names; in our area it is called Common Blue Violet. It is an early Spring bloomer usually blooming in late April in our area. It is a very pretty flower found throughout most of our country. It is the "State" flower of: IL, NJ, RI, and WI. Violets cointain salicylic acid and large amounts of some vitamins. Asprin is acetylsalicylic acid. I have been told that the indians used violet leaves for medicinal purposes.
Picture taken with a Nikon D1X camera using a 70 - 200 F2.8 lens. ISO 200, -1/3 exposure compensation, 1/160s sec at F5.6

Robert O'Toole
02-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Good work with the plane of focus, keeping all the important bits in focus.

Crop is a little tight but I like it otherwise.

Robert

Robert Amoruso
02-12-2008, 07:59 AM
Peter,

Great effort. I am in agreement with Robert O's comments. Even in the thumbnail it catches my eye immediately. And again, I appreciate the details about the subject. That's a nice touch as some posted images have no details and you are left wondering. Thanks.

Matthew Pugh
02-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi
I think this is a delightful looking shot, and such a great job of getting both subjects paralleled to the film plane to maximise their effect in this composition. Personally I would probably have opted for a little more negative space up top, but this is pretty cool as seen
All the best
Matthew

Mike Moats
02-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Hey Peter, nice work on this one. Good details and balance on the flowers, and good BG. Nice color combination. It could use a little more space, but I think it works okay as is.