PDA

View Full Version : Dream Lake Icy Sunrise HDR - RMNP

Jared Gricoskie
10-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Took a client up to Dream Lake for sunrise, the 1 mile trail was covered with ice, but once we got to the lake all that was forgotten. The downsized image didn't get as sharp as I hoped even after a few attemps with smart sharpen 100 (tried a bit more and less),.3, gussain blur, and in lightroom I tweeked the shadow blue tint in the snow but cs3 didn't show it as well as lightroom. (When I downsize and save for web in lightroom my images are often over the 200kb for posting, any advise there?). 3 Image HDR using Photomatix

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3472/3992138822_d0fc776bf7_o.jpg

D300, 24mm @ f14 1/25th then +1, -1 stop, ISO 320, tripod, bubble level

Roman Kurywczak
10-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Hey Jared,
I'd imagine that with this much texture and detail you had to really drop the IQ on the jpeg......our penalty in the landscape forum.....so I totally understand......sweet light and excellent HDR work.....love the flow and comp in the water too! All in all very well done!

Morkel Erasmus
10-08-2009, 03:24 PM
I love the composition, light and colour here. your HDR turned out very natural. can't help with LR since I don't have it :)

Judy Lynn Malloch
10-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Beautiful composition and The HDR worked well. Love how the light leads you right to the very bottom of the mountains and on up to the peaks. Thanks for sharing.

Harold Davis
10-09-2009, 04:23 PM
nice HDR. i like how the mountains cast that golden color over the water. well worth the hike!!!

Robert Amoruso
10-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Jared,

Well done for the reasons mentioned above. For my tastes I would suggest a selection on the bright mountain and tone it down some. Many ways to do this, but a channels selection and then a curves adjustment using a reverse s-curve woudl work. I tried a channels selection, CTRL-J for copy of the selection, blending mode to Multiply then masked out everything except the mountain. That increase saturation so desaturated the mountain using a mask.

Tutorials here on these processes.

http://birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24075

Thanks for posting.