PDA

View Full Version : Duckin' with the 7D...

John Blumenkamp
10-07-2009, 09:29 PM
I've been giving the 7D a test run lately.

I believe coming from the 40D that this camera will be a wise choice for my particular photography interests (I'm really interested to see how this camera will work for landscapes with the EF-S 10-22). I'll leave any lengthy ramblings on processing 18MB files, the AF system, etc to the tech/gear forums, but here is one capture from tonight while seeing how this camera functions with the ducks & geese at the local park near my house...

EOS 7D w/ 400 5.6L
1/2000 f/7.1 iso400, handheld
AI Servo w/ AF point expansion
C.Fn III-1 set to '0'
C.Fn III-2 set to '1'
C.Fn III-3 set to '0'
Processed in DPP, no NR, minimal PS adjustments
Cropped from 18MP to 9.4MP

Last night I had C.Fn III-1 set to '-1' and '-2' at times, but things seemed to work fine tonight with '0'. Also, I used Single Point AF last night, which worked well, but the point expansion stayed on the subject very well tonight during bursts.

C&C greatly appreciated... thanks.

Always learning,
John

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Hey John, that 7D must be a very nice toy!
It seems like you are having fun and this rig is going to yield good IQ.

I also been dreaming about the 1D series but that's simply too much money for me. Then I guess my upgrade will be a 7D.

About the image: I like the BG and colors in this one, it would have been nice to see the wing down or fully up, but well...very nice one any ways. I guess the blacks could be saved a little.

Harshad Barve
10-07-2009, 10:20 PM
lovely image with killer BG , EXPO and sharpness
TFS

Sabyasachi Patra
10-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Hi John,
Love the panning action. The BG has come out nicely. Nice to hear that you are having fun with the new toy.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Paul Randall
10-08-2009, 12:56 AM
Very nice. The light and details look great. There is almost no better way to get used to your new camera than trying it out on ducks. They are fairly predictable most of the time and a nice meaty target for your focusing system to track. Enjoy your new investment.

Dave Barnes
10-08-2009, 06:27 AM
The image quality looks good, I am glad to see that the 7D seems to be meeting your expectations.
Super colour and details captured.

DanWalters
10-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Looks like the 7D captures the action! Nice flight shot and I love the greens in the background.

Morkel Erasmus
10-08-2009, 11:25 AM
nice popping shot! glad to see you're having success with the 7D - also on my upgrade list. love the blurred BG

Ben Egbert
10-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Looks good to me. That 7D PD gives the 400 the reach it needs. But for only a 50% crop, you must have been pretty close anyway. Good capture.