PDA

View Full Version : No. Shore Pond update

denise ippolito
10-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Alot of people have contacted me recently so I thought I would give an update.
OCT.5TH-(in no particular order)This is what I was able to see clearly and ID. at Lake Como

Coots (dozens)
Greater White Fronted Goose (1) It was hanging w/ the Canadian Geese
Mute Swans (approx. 100)
Grebes(6 or so)
Greater Scaups(2)
American Wigeons(6)
Cormorant (1)
GBH (1)
Great Egret(1)
Gulls asst(100's)
Ruddy Ducks(dozens)
Belted Kingfisher(1)
Mallards(6)
Canadian Geese (dozens)

Bill Jobes
10-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks, Denise!
I really do have to try those ponds soon!

Ed Vatza
10-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Any updates would be appreciated, Denise. If the weather cooperates (which right now it doesn't look like it will), we may head over for a day this weekend.

denise ippolito
10-14-2009, 09:14 AM
I'll try to get over there on Friday morning. No promises due to schedule.

Art Peslak
11-06-2009, 05:26 PM
I made a quick trip to Belmar after work today. A good number of Coots, ruddy ducks and American Widgeon. Lesser numbers of Greater Scaup, Lesser Scaup, ring neck duck, blue winged teal, Brant and hooded mergansers. This is in addition to the normal numbers of Canada Geese, mallards and mute swans.

Axel Hildebrandt
11-06-2009, 05:46 PM
I made a quick trip to Belmar after work today. A good number of Coots, ruddy ducks and American Widgeon. Lesser numbers of Greater Scaup, Lesser Scaup, ring neck duck, blue winged teal, Brant and hooded mergansers. This is in addition to the normal numbers of Canada Geese, mallards and mute swans.

Thanks for the update, Art!

Ed Vatza
01-06-2010, 10:08 PM
How are those ponds looking these days? Are they frozen over? Any open water areas? Anything interesting on these? The North Shore seems particularly quiet this year so far. We are thinking of stopping down this weekend if the weather holds.

denise ippolito
01-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Ed, I was shooting over at Lake Como the other day. Two male Hooded Mergansers, a flock of Canada Geese and the token Greater White-fronted Goose that has been hanging w/ them. Loads of gulls. The pond was not frozen enough to force the Hoodies close. I only got a few shots off that were FF. Hoping this week will be better. If I get a chance to check it out in the morning I'll let you know:)

Art Peslak
01-10-2010, 06:00 PM
I drove over to Belmar this afternoon. Nothing worth getting out of the car for.

The big lake in Belmar just north of Lake Como is almost entirely frozen over, Just some gulls hanging out on the ice and the black crowned night herons on the island rookery in the southwest corner.

Lake Como is mostly frozen except on the west side but mainly just Canada Geese(and the single greater white fronted goose), a few coots, a few mallards, two common mergansers and two hooded mergansers. Nothing close enough to photograph.

Ed Vatza
01-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Yeah, Art. We stopped down this morning. Highlight of the day was breakfast at "Who's on Third?". The ponds were all about 90% frozen and very few birds. Maybe my memory is failing me but I seem to recall much more activity in years past even when the lakes were pretty much frozen. Stopped by Shark River Inlet but nothing - no Buntings; no Larks. Breakfast was ok though! :)

Art Peslak
01-10-2010, 09:01 PM
I went on New Years Day and there were shovelers, mergansers, gadwall, ring necked duck, widgeon plus the canada geese and gulls. I guess the cold has scared them off.