PDA

View Full Version : First post in this forum

Tony Kirkby
02-11-2008, 09:09 PM
These mushrooms are from the south west of Western Australia and as far as I know grow only out of Kangaroo dung!

Nikon D200
180mm Macro
f13
ISO 100

Jim Caldwell
02-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Welcome Tony! Well that is a sh... er cra... er, rather not a pleasant thing to grow in!! :D I like the framing, but the overall image could use more contrast and could be lightened a bit. I like the bokeh in the background!

Tony Kirkby
02-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Hi Jim

I suppose it could do with a little lightening up but it was taken on a very dewy misty morning and feels to me just like it felt on the day. Not that there's any way you could know this!

Robert O'Toole
02-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Tony the composition is excellent and the details are great. The little highlights on the caps are great too.

Agree with Jim about making it oh so slightly lighter.

Robert

John Cooper
02-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Welcome Tony, yes you are correct, there are several species that are dependent on herbivore dung.
I like the 2 tall specimens and the 2 smaller ones alongside. Just a TAD more light would give the image a boost without destroying the misty feel that you experienced. A couple of dust bunnies need cloning out.

Tony Kirkby
02-12-2008, 02:38 AM
Okay, okay :) I have brightened it up a little.

John Cooper
02-12-2008, 03:31 AM
Okay, okay :) I have brightened it up a little.

Good for you!!! :) Although I probably wouldn't have gone quite that far, but yes I like it better. Just the dust bunnies now Tony!!

intoit
02-12-2008, 07:30 AM
they're so delicate looking and I really like they way the tall ones are touching ever so slightly, you might want to try burning the tops just to accentuate their colour and seperate them a bit more from the bg colour and add a bit more contrast.....really neat tiny little ones!!

Robert Amoruso
02-12-2008, 08:04 AM
Tony,

I like the repost better but agree that I would back off just a bit. Excellent composition and thanks for the details on how they grow. It is nice to know these things.

Matthew Pugh
02-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Hi
A nice shot of this fungal subject, and I guess fungi in general do grow in what we would consider some nasty places. My main suggestion would be for a bit more USM to help bring out the details
All the best
Matthew

Mike Moats
02-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Hey Tony, this is really nice, I think the repost does work better with the extra light. Very cool find and well done.

Tony Kirkby
02-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks all for the comments and advice.

Jeroen Stel
02-15-2008, 03:20 AM
Wonderfull composition of these funghi!
I think i would like the exposure to be somewhere in the middle of the first and the second post.
To be really picky you could also remove the two dust spots in this shot.

Thank you for posting !

Greetings,

Jeroen Stel